Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Staple Exercises For Joint Prep/prehab And Mobility?

crossfic

What are the staple (most useful) exercises for the title abouve?

So far all i have is...

Wrists:

Wrist push ups

wrist curls

Shoulder/scapular:

Shoulder dislocates

rotator cuff exercises- with resitance bands

Scapula push ups

LYPT

Hips:

straddle

pike

three way splits

Back:

Bridge

Feel free to copy this chart and update it if you feel there are any more staples for jointprep/prehab/ mobility and add them! will be interesting and useful to see what people use, Many thanks!

Tyler Gibson

I'm not sure wrist curls are really that useful for joint prep, but I'm not positive. The point of wrist pushups is to strengthen wrist extensors, which are usually very weak in most people relative to wrist flexors.

Blairbob's wrist series that he uses with his boys consists of a series of wrist stretches followed by dorsal pushups, wrist pushups, first knuckle pushups and fingertip pushups. That could all go under wrists. 

For shoulder and scapula, I know a lot of people follow Ido Portal's scapular series, which can be found on Ido's youtube channel and includes all the stuff you said but might have one or two other things in there.  

A lot of people also perform Ido's squat clinic routine as warm up for their hips. You could include that as well.

Overall looks pretty good. You should add the wrist series I mentioned, and definitely take a look at Ido's stuff as well as Blairbob's wrist series (which I think is the same as coach's wrist series). I can link to all these things if you like, but they're easy to find. Just find Ido's channel on youtube and I think Blairbob's stuff is in a sticky on wrist prehab.

• 2 weeks later...
Andrew Graham

The point of a rehab/prehab is to put the joint through full ROM without substantial loading....your aim is to increase circulation and increase ROM, aswell as strength through ROM:

The following is ideal!

Injuries can still occur in the prehab stage if your not ready for it. Before any targeted prehab is done, my advice is to do a 5-10 minute cardio warm up, this loosens you up and gets blood to all areas of the body not just the parts for your joint prep.

Wrists:

metacarpel push-ups

finger tip push-ups

Wrist push ups

stretch wrist flexors and extensors

Shoulder/scapular:

follow 'smittydiesel - shoudler rehab protocol' for injuries - it is awesome and fixed me within 5 months (and made me stronger and more balanced than before). For prehab, follow Ido's routine.

Hips:

leg swings frontal and sideways, dynamic stretching works really well for the groin area and hamstrings. Straddle, pike, SLS, SLDL should be part of your strength routine.

Back:

Not a bridge!!....a bridge is very demanding on the back and if your body isn't warmed up properly then you are leaving yourself at risk to all sorts of trouble. Good way to warm up the tissues in your back are lying on your front and doing 'swimmers' and quadralateral movement like horse stance - right leg, left arm and back down and then opposite....Again, bridge should be part of your strength training.

• Upvote 1

Back:

Not a bridge!!....a bridge is very demanding on the back and if your body isn't warmed up properly then you are leaving yourself at risk to all sorts of trouble. Good way to warm up the tissues in your back are lying on your front and doing 'swimmers' and quadralateral movement like horse stance - right leg, left arm and back down and then opposite....Again, bridge should be part of your strength training.

I honestly would have to disagree with this. A bridge CAN be demanding on the back for some people, but for more experienced people (with no injuries, of course) it can be a wonderful exercise to add to a prehab routine. It's done good things for both my back and shoulders. Just my two cents.

I honestly would have to disagree with this. A bridge CAN be demanding on the back for some people, but for more experienced people (with no injuries, of course) it can be a wonderful exercise to add to a prehab routine. It's done good things for both my back and shoulders. Just my two cents.

Bridge is more of a mobility/prehab than a strength exercise in general. Though, due to lack of doing any kind of bridging over a lifetime, full bridge can be very challenging at first. Thankfully there are many variations of bridge work that can be done to build up to a full bridge for those no yet ready to go straight to full bridge. It's going to depend on the individual, but honestly we'd love to see more people out there who think bridge is no big deal.

In general, don't misunderstand prehab to mean just easy movements that require no strength, or flexibility. Prehab is meant to build 'protective' strength and flexibility, so it's not the same as warm up. Of course, by doing easier variations, one can warm up to their prehab as well.

With wrist push ups, we wouldn't expect a novice to do them as easily as regular pushups, so might start from the knees, but over time they can become 'easy'. Same with bridge.

Bridge is more of a mobility/prehab than a strength exercise in general. Though, due to lack of doing any kind of bridging over a lifetime, full bridge can be very challenging at first. Thankfully there are many variations of bridge work that can be done to build up to a full bridge for those no yet ready to go straight to full bridge. It's going to depend on the individual, but honestly we'd love to see more people out there who think bridge is no big deal.

In general, don't misunderstand prehab to mean just easy movements that require no strength, or flexibility. Prehab is meant to build 'protective' strength and flexibility, so it's not the same as warm up. Of course, by doing easier variations, one can warm up to their prehab as well.

With wrist push ups, we wouldn't expect a novice to do them as easily as regular pushups, so might start from the knees, but over time they can become 'easy'. Same with bridge.

Yes. It all depends on the person and their level of skill, which is what I was trying to get across. I don't think it's fair to tell someone to NOT do a bridge because that person believes it to be quite demanding, even though for the other person it may very well be doable. I believe that some sort of bridge variation should be involved in every prehab routine and possibly for a warm-up. It's just such a wonderful exercise :).