Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One Arm Push Up And Chin Training...

MirrorMaze

FREDERIC DUPONT
I would like to hear Coach's opinion too! In my opinion, the OAC and the inverted curl of the inverted MU should not be compared to each other even though you may categorize them as both bent arm "pulling" exercises. The reason is because the OAC is a compound pulling exercise that involves the lats and rear delts more than the biceps and the inverted curl is more of an isolation exercise that uses the biceps and elbow flexors as the prime movers and other muscles as stabilizers. I consider the two to be in different categories.

I believe rope climbs wouldn't be much different than OACs because cirques are basically a series of assisted OACs followed by a series of OAC negatives both alternating arms, but with a harder grip. Doing cirques won't get you the inverted curl or inverted MU, but both do help condition the elbows and bicep tendons for more advanced GST straight arm exercises. 

I may be wrong, but methinks that Coach will answer you with precision after you have posted a video demonstrating your mastery of the various exercises you mention in your post... :P

I may be wrong, but methinks that Coach will answer you with precision after you have posted a video demonstrating your mastery of the various exercises you mention in your post... :P

EDIT: Let me rephrase my post here.

My point is that Lsit wide grip pulls are too easy now and I've been training assisted OAC as max vertical pulling. Am I better off dialling in on curls, cirques, working up to higher weights on the pullups.... /context

Is the carryover from OAC training so limited as to not be worth using them for max pulling? Is all you get from training multiple OAC, multiple OAC? If so, are the gains worth the time, risk of tendonitis etc...

Joshua Slocum
EDIT: Let me rephrase my post here.

My point is that Lsit wide grip pulls are too easy now and I've been training assisted OAC as max vertical pulling. Am I better off dialling in on curls, cirques, working up to higher weights on the pullups.... /context

Is the carryover from OAC training so limited as to not be worth using them for max pulling? Is all you get from training multiple OAC, multiple OAC? If so, are the gains worth the time, risk of tendonitis etc...

It's hard to answer this question without knowing what your training goals are. If you want to develop gymnastics or hand-balancing strength, OAC's will be of very little use. They don't carry over well to any of the advanced strength elements. But if you do a pull-heavy sport like rock climbing or wrestling, they could be phenomenally useful.

Even if your goals include OAC start working on your rope climbing ability. The carry over is excellent to many movements and as a bonus when done intelligently it will lessen your risks of tendonitis from things like OAC's...

• Upvote 4

Probably! As for what I can do, I can do OAC with full ROM from deadhang. For cirques, I never had access to a rope so I don't know, but I think I can do it and if I can't then it could be a matter of grip strength endurance rather than pulling strength because there were posts of people who can do cirques, but not OAC. I can't do the inverted curl probably because I can't use a false grip in the inverted hang and didn't use the straps for stabilization of the few attempts I've tried with barely or not enough room from my surroundings - so no at the end. I have done a tuck BL curl before however.