Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

couple random questions.

Timy7

So I asked this on another forum but I think this would definitely be the place. I havent received my book yet so no worries, but I was curious how some of you fellow gymnasts and or enthusiasts would approach this:

I want to gain a bit of hypertrophy, not alot I am currently 137lbs and want to hit about 150-155lbs. I use my rings almost entirely for upper body, mixing in parallettes and some floor stuff, going to start training circles as soon as I finish building my mushroom.

Anyways here is a list of what I am currently capable of;

Adv tuck planche pushups (8-10 max in one set)

One arm chins (1-3 straight max currently in one set)

Pistols(15-20 max in one set)

HSPU's (10-14 max in one set)

Front lever pullups(max prolly around 12-15 ish again one set)

One arm pushups(4-5 max)

Standing ab wheel rollouts(5-7 max)

Muscle ups(6-8 max)

Along with lots of static skills on rings or parallettes

Adv tuck planches

Front and back levers atleast 10 secs of either.

L-sits

N-sits

Along with these

Bulgarian and regular dips on rings

reg pushups

skin the cats

chinups/pullups

squats

etc etc etc

Now my question is this, I am fairly strong I just dont show it how would any of you design a routine with the goal of increasing hypertrophy a little bit. Now please dont turn this into a "eat more to grow" blah blah I have my diet in check and am increasing my calories over the next few weeks so I gain slowly without putting on too much fat, just looking for what kinds of sets and reps and frequency you would do the above with hypertrophy in mind.

Thanks.

also, I just started doing basic ring series, I can do 1 and 2 with some difficulty so I am fairly proficient for just some random 21 year old.

Thanks again for reading and any responses.

Tim

you're around the same weight as steven low, so keep up with you're doing and keep on eating and sleeping besides hydration. if you wanted to get bigger in the legs and back, add deadlifts but this would probably screw up your relative strength when it comes to bodyweight exercise. you're call there. adding this sort of lower body stimulus would help you pack on size but would be of no real use when coming to rings strength development.

Blair- thanks for the response man. I actually use to lift very heavy lower body and have some pretty solid legs from it. Worked up to a 392lb deadlift(390+ microplates) and a 260lb hang clean as well as a 290lb front squat All when I focused on cleans/front squats/overhead presses/deadlifts.

I got pretty thick too, but I dont have access to weights anymore and honestly I never enjoyed a workout with the weights like I do on the rings. Already a very thick back and im in great shape I just would love to be just a bit thicker, and I know that comes down to more calories, I just have no clue how I should structure a workout when hypertrophy/strength is my goal as I have always just trained for strength.

Cheers.

Tim

with hypertrophy you should not allow your body to completely rest between sets... you want to maintain a level of fatigue... try resting 30-90 secs... shoot for 8-12 reps with moderate intensity... make sure to eat protien about an hour before and within an hour after...

the numbers you posted for your power and olympic lifts are very good...

If I had gotten the bug for gymnastics earlier, I never would have went down the weights route as it bulked me up considerably. At my lightest I was at 144, and that was on a calorie deficient diet which drove me half nuts. Before weights I was around 125 and probably could have leaned out to 110-115. So, thinking back on it I that would have been a much better weight for gymnastics then.

Thanks for the response griffdrc,

Now the other question for you fine gents. Would training with hypertrophy goals for a bit hinder my progress!? i am very happy with my results so far skill wise and highly doubt a little hypertrophy will jeopardize the skills I have accomplished but always better to ask.

:lol:

Yeah Blair I hear ya, but I wouldnt trade my thick thighs for anything!!! :twisted: :twisted: I would rather have solid legs and work my gymnastic skills with them, maybe progressing a bit slower than have chicken legs any day.

Tim