Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm New - Stretching Questions

crossfic

Hello,

I've never stretched in the past (when weight lifting) so i am completly new to this aspect of gymnastics!

From what i learnt in physical education at college is that static stretches before your workout can hinder you overall ability to preform. So is it best to do more mobility exercises before, such as shoulder dislocations, wrist push ups etc... and then do static stretches afterwards? Also what stretches should i include, how long should i hold them, how many reps and sets? And should i preform them on days where i rest? Many thanks !!

I never did any real stretching until 4 years ago when I took up TaeKwonDo. There I was exposed to the discipline of stretching for the first time. We always do warm up stretches at the beginning of class. I'm not an expert, but I have had pretty good success using the following principles.  

I found that working too hard at static stretches before class seems to tire the muscles out and affect performance a little. Therefore it is best to just do warm up stretches at a lighter intensity at the beginning of your workout. This, however, is not sufficient if you really want to develop your flexibility, it will just maintain it at your current level.

To advance your flexibility level, you need to do additional, more intense stretching, either right after your workout, or at home. What worked for me was doing at least 30 minutes at least four times a week, with at least one day of complete rest every week. Make sure you are already warmed up, then get into the main routine, starting with the easier stretches, gradually working up to the more difficult ones. Hold every stretch for at least 30 seconds, breathe slowly, and extend your stretch with each exhale (even if it is only a  centimeter). Repeat each stretch one or two more times. 

The type of stretch depends on what your goal is and how flexible you are already. Don't go right for a front split if you are not ready for it. Instead, work groups of muscles around each joint, and deepen the stretch as you start to open up. Always counteract each stretch with some in the opposite direction (for example, do some back bending after doing some front bending).

My goal was to reach front splits,  pancake straddle forward fold and center splits, to improve the height of my kicks. Much to my surprise, I was able to reach all of those goals after a couple of years. My goal now is to do a free standing handstand!