Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Side Split Flexibility

Tavis G

How di you improve side split flexibility ? Do i just keep trying to go farther down every day? I'm trying to get more flexible for straddle planche wgen i get to it.

Quick Start Test Smith

Read the threads that have recently been posted in about this subject! The info is there!

Joshua Slocum

Straddle planche uses a middle split - side splits are where one leg is in front and one leg is in back. 

I meant middle split. So that is hpw you get your straddle flexibilty better? Just by getting more flexible in that position?

Quick Start Test Smith
Straddle planche uses a middle split - side splits are where one leg is in front and one leg is in back. 

Hi. I don't think so. Side split is the same as straddle split, and they are both "sideways." Sideways split is called sideways because of the leg's position and straddle split is called straddle because it is as if your are straddling an object, or spreading your legs sideways. They are the same.

Joshua Slocum
Hi. I don't think so. Side split is the same as straddle split, and they are both "sideways." Sideways split is called sideways because of the leg's position and straddle split is called straddle because it is as if your are straddling an object, or spreading your legs sideways. They are the same.

I've never heard 'side split' used as a synonym for a straddle, so I looked it up. As it turns out, like most gymnastics terminology, it depends on who you ask. BTGB uses 'middle split', but the FIG code of points uses 'side split'. Googling 'side split' turns up many references, and some depict one kind of split while others depict the other kind of split. 

Quick Start Test Smith
I've never heard 'side split' used as a synonym for a straddle, so I looked it up. As it turns out, like most gymnastics terminology, it depends on who you ask. BTGB uses 'middle split', but the FIG code of points uses 'side split'. Googling 'side split' turns up many references, and some depict one kind of split while others depict the other kind of split. 

I think the images that depicted a front/side split mix or front split simply showed up because of the tag "split"; however, I'm only familiar with the terms side, middle, and straddle meaning the same thing. Merry Christmas, by the way.

How di you improve side split flexibility ? Do i just keep trying to go farther down every day? I'm trying to get more flexible for straddle planche wgen i get to it.

For me, the side split (or middle split) was a lot harder to train for than the front splits. I started training four years ago when I took up Tae Kwon Do. Training 30 minutes 4 -5 times a week, I was able to do a fair front splits in about two years. If that sounds like a long time, consider that I started from zero flexibility at the age of 57. I can now easily do a straight, flat on the floor front splits on both sides after only a brief warmup.

The side split was a different story, much harder. I think the problem is that there are more large muscles that have to be trained to stretch than in the front split, and there are not many other motions or stretches that stretch you in that way. Also, it is easier to overstretch and hurt yourself if you try too hard, which only sets you back. 

I approached it the following way: start by doing stretches that really relax your lower back and hips, and train you to bend at the hip while keeping the lower back flat. Hold all stretches for 30 seconds and extend the stretch with each exhale. 

• Yoga down dog
  • Straight leg forward bend to touch your toes, ( 3 positions: standing, sitting forward & on back) (work to get your abdomen to lie flat against your thighs and to be able to join your hands under the soles of your feet)
  • Wide leg standing forward bend: stand with legs about  2 1/2 shoulder widths apart. Bend forward and grasp your ankles. Aim to get the top of your head to touch the ground directly between your feet, with your back straight.
  • Wide leg side to side forward bend: maintain same spread leg standing position, bend forward on each side to get your abdomen to lie against the thigh

Next work on opening your hips:

• Runners lunge (get your chest to lie flat against thigh of front leg, back leg straight)
  •  "Lizard lunge" - same as Runner's lunge, but get your chest lower, to the inside of the front leg, eventually to touch the ground
  • Half Splits: Start in standing position, knees bent at 90 degrees, hips open as wide as possible, feet pointing to side "Tae Kwon Do wide horse stance" - Drop your hips to the floor, keeping trunk upright, by bending one knee, and keeping other leg straight out to side. Your goal is to get the butt on the ground, straight leg out full 90 degree to side, get foot of other leg flat on the ground, pointing 180 degrees away from the outstretched leg so that there is a straight line along the legs, knees and both feet. 

It may take a long time to reach these goals, but once you can do all of the above, you should be able to do a front split pretty easily. Now do some more hip opening stretches on the ground:

• Straddle forward bend: From the sitting position, open your legs in as wide a straddle as possible and bend forward. Your goal should be to get your abdomen flat on the floor between the legs. Until you can reach that point, aim to be able to touch your elbows to the floor. Once you can do that, aim to get your head to touch the floor. Once you can do that, aim to keep your back straight and get your abdomen and chin to touch the floor. Bend from the hips as much as possible as opposed to bending the back.
  • Straddle forward bend, side to side: In the straddle position, bend forward towards each leg. Aim to get the abdomen to lie flat against the thigh.
  • Butterfly stretch: aim to get your knees flat on the ground 
  • Runner's hurdle (easy version): start seated, one leg straight out front, bend other leg to touch sole of foot along opposite thigh, bend forward (aim to get abdomen to lie against thigh)
  • Runner's hurdle (hard version): one leg straight out, other leg bent behind you. Bend forward to reach for front leg, then aim to stay bent forward, sweep your chest along ground towards the back leg and back

Once you can get a flat pancake-like straddle forward bend, work to open legs wider with each stretch.

• Extended straddle forward bend: Bend forward to touch the ground with chest. . When you come back up, open legs wider before bending forward again. Aim to get legs out almost 180 degrees. 
  • Straddle forward bend, rotating hips: When your can bend forward with your legs out at about 160 degrees.  roll forward on your thighs, work to rotate your thighs to get the inside of the thighs, the inside of the ankles, and the pubic bone flat against the floor, while extending the legs towards 180 degrees. You will eventually reach 180 degrees with  your full side (middle) split.

If it sounds like it takes a lot of time, it DOES! It took me about three years to get to this point. Take your time and don't get hurt, and you will continue to make progress. In the meantime, however, the increase in flexibility is dramatic, and helps you in all kinds of other ways. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yaad Mohammad

2 years sounds a lot for a front-split without any flexibility from before. I got mine from zero flexibility after 3 months of stretching

Two years at age 57 does not sound unreasonable to me. I'm 43 and I can't push hard at anything without pulling or injuring something. I have to take every progression 3-4 times slower than I did ten years ago. The body just isn't as forgiving and must be babied. Otherwise, once you hurt something, your recovery time is WAY longer.

Two years at age 57 does not sound unreasonable to me. I'm 43 and I can't push hard at anything without pulling or injuring something. I have to take every progression 3-4 times slower than I did ten years ago. The body just isn't as forgiving and must be babied. Otherwise, once you hurt something, your recovery time is WAY longer.

Thanks, txtumbler. (Nice handstand, by the way).

As you say, the recovery time for the body has a lot to do with it. Trying to get your body to change faster by pushing harder sometimes has a paradoxical effect. When I tried doing very intense stretching workouts too close together, I would get sore, then get tighter for the next week. Pacing myself led to the most  consistent progress.

I know that two years may sound like a long time, but in the bigger picture way of looking at things, if you are committed to continuing in your fitness discipline, be it gymnastics or martial arts, it is only a speck of time. Once you have reached that level of flexibility, it will stay with you for a long time, with only a little bit of weekly maintenance. 

What I described was my personal experience. For the first six months of stretching, I barely saw any change in my range of motion, I just started feeling looser and more comfortable. After that, things started to move a little faster.  The reason I mentioned the length of time it took me was to encourage anyone trying to get the splits to keep working at it and go at their own body's pace without feeling let  down if things are not going as fast as one would like. Eventually, you will reach your goal, you will feel great (and you will amaze your friends and family!)

2 years sounds a lot for a front-split without any flexibility from before. I got mine from zero flexibility after 3 months of stretching

You are very fortunate indeed to be able to progress that quickly!

Joshua Naterman

I don't think I'll be making the same progress right now, at age 31, that I did when I was 18 :) I can already tell how much longer the flexibility will take this time... How easy it used to be!!!

Enjoy the youth, and build great flexibility NOW so that you can keep it for later, instead of turning halfway into a brick like me before realizing that you actually DO need to put time into this, and much more now than before! :)

Of course, for all I know Yaad could be older than me!

• Upvote 2

Yaad Mohammad
I don't think I'll be making the same progress right now, at age 31, that I did when I was 18 :) I can already tell how much longer the flexibility will take this time... How easy it used to be!!!

Enjoy the youth, and build great flexibility NOW so that you can keep it for later, instead of turning halfway into a brick like me before realizing that you actually DO need to put time into this, and much more now than before! :)

I'm 16 haha, so still young! Need to stretch them muscles!

• Upvote 2

Thanks for your comments!

Yaad,

What you are doing now is awesome, by devoting time to a great way to stay fit. It looks like you will be able to go far and the benefits will always stay with you.  

What Joshua says is true, progress is slower as you get older. We pay the price for our lifestyle,  sitting in front of computers and in our cars, our sedate habits. Our bodies become stiff, slow and weak from inactivity. Fortunately, it is not too late to undo this process. I only wish I had started much sooner!

Yaad Mohammad
Thanks for your comments!

Yaad,

What you are doing now is awesome, by devoting time to a great way to stay fit. It looks like you will be able to go far and the benefits will always stay with you.  

What Joshua says is true, progress is slower as you get older. We pay the price for our lifestyle,  sitting in front of computers and in our cars, our sedate habits. Our bodies become stiff, slow and weak from inactivity. Fortunately, it is not too late to undo this process. I only wish I had started much sooner!

Thank you! My goal is to remain fit till I'm dead. I don't want to end up really stiff and telling my children: "I used to be able to do a handstand". No, I want to show them that I can do a handstand. Heck, I even want to show my grandchildren that!

I wished I started even earlier so that I could participate in gymnastic competitions. At the moment I'm getting closer to enter ring gymnastics competitions, only problem is that I need to be able to do 5 other events before I can do competitions. Well, wish me luck haha!

• Upvote 1

I wished I started even earlier so that I could participate in gymnastic competitions. At the moment I'm getting closer to enter ring gymnastics competitions, only problem is that I need to be able to do 5 other events before I can do competitions. Well, wish me luck haha!

Maybe you feel like you are a "late starter" but don't let that stop you from trying to enter competition. You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain by setting that as your goal. Find a good coach and keep working at it. Good Luck!

• Upvote 1

Sailor Venus

i can nearly do the middle splits both toes up and toes forward. front splits are hardest to stretch in my experience because the hip flexors and quads are the most stubborn and pain in the ass to stretch.

Try some pnf and isometric stretching. It'll save you time so you don't have to spend three years to get splits.