Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Progression Questions

golfwolf

I had a few questions on progressions, from Coach’s book, that I was hoping someone could help answer.

Static progressions:

What’s the best way to determine what level in the progression you should start with and when should you progress to the next level?

For example, I have trouble with the basic “frog stand.†OK, so that’s easy and I think I want to train until I hit 60 seconds, right? But do I just do 30 sets at 2 seconds a set? Where do I go from there? Shoot for 5 second holds? When do I move to “advanced frog stand?â€

Bodyweight progressions:

Again, what’s the best way to determine what level in the progression I should start with and when should I progress to the next leve?

For example, if I can do 5x5 of XR PPP push ups, do I now begin working on XR PPP plus push ups until I can do 5x5 on those before then moving to XR PMP pushups?

BST question, page 175:

This is where it talks about working sets of either 3x5 or 5x5, but also says if additional hypertrophy is needed to do a 10x3 or reverse pyramid (12 reps down to 6) with increasing load.

First off, what would be an example of a reverse pyramid with increasing load? Would it be jumping pull ups for 12, THEN pull-ups for 10, THEN L chin ups for 8, and THEN L pull ups for 6?

Secondly, are the 10x3 and reverse pyramid rep schemes more beneficial for mass than the 3x5 or 5x5? Would you also get adequate strength gains, or are they geared more for a balance between size & strength?

Now that I wrote all this, please bear in mind that I may have little idea what I’m asking and I very well could be miss interpreting what’s written in the book. With that in mind, please be kind in your responses ïŠ

Thanks.

matthew.percussion

For Static Progressions:

You want to work on an individual progression until you can hold it for more than 15 seconds in one set. So, once you can do the "frog stand" for 15 seconds switch to the "advanced frog stand." The only exception to this is if you cannot hold the "adv frog stand" for more than 3-5 seconds, in which case you should work on the regular "frog stand" for a few more weeks.

Bodyweight Progressions:

It seems to me that you have a pretty good understanding of the process here. However, in the XR PPP, make sure that your hands are far back. =] The farther back the harder the exercise.

Reps and Sets:

It says additional hypertrophy may be needed for some people. But for the majority I believe that the 3-5x3-5 rep/set scheme works pretty well.

Hope that helps,

Matthew

So now that I can hold a straight arm frogstand with good forum for thirty secounds, you think I should move on to the tuck planche? I can't keep my hip level with my shoulders when I try it.

George Launchbury

Stick with the advanced frog stand for another cycle, but shorten your hold times and really focus on trying to reduce the amount your knees are resting on your arms. You seem to have the support and balance down AOK, and now need to focus more on pressing with the shoulders to keep your hips up instead of relying on your knees resting on your arms.

Regards,

George.

Stick with the advanced frog stand for another cycle, but shorten your hold times and really focus on trying to reduce the amount your knees are resting on your arms. You seem to have the support and balance down AOK, and now need to focus more on pressing with the shoulders to keep your hips up instead of relying on your knees resting on your arms.

Regards,

George.

Thanks, that's a really good idea! :D

Actually today for the first time I was able to hold myself up for a few secounds before I fell.

I'm gonna try what you said.