Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thoracic Issues/gymnastic Work

Colin McEndoo

Colin McEndoo

First off, this is a super forum. Reading a while and eagerly anticipating the updated btgb.

I've a quick question. I have a new found interest in training since introducing the basics here. I do however have a pretty bad posture, borne from 12 years of a desk job.

My physio has advised me to fix postural issues as I have massively overdeveloped rhomboids (clearly doing too much work).

With most of the gymnastic basics I've been doing seem to 'feel' stronger in the hollow position...I can't help but feel because of my kyphosis it's just reinforcing my already bad posture, anyone with similar issues?

Joshua Naterman

You will have to do a lot of work for your posture first, in my opinion. You CAN do both concurrently, but you'll need to do a lot of postural work.

Are you familiar with Pete Egoscue's book "Pain Free?" It has a good progression for dealing with kyphosis. If you find that even lying on your back requires towel supports when doing the Static Back "Stretch" then your intercostals are probably tight, and that will simply require long periods of slow, progressive release. Like an hour or more. They have to get tired, and they are your breathing muscles so they have very, very good endurance.

You might also look at your cervical flexors. They are likely tight as well, and respond well to long, slow, progressive relaxation for similar reasons. Many of these are actually breathing muscles as well.

By tight, I mean hypertonic. That just means they produce more force, on average throughout the day, than they should be. This is what keeps the kyphotic spinal curvature in place.

The standard pectoral stretching is not bad, but does not address these issues and that is why many people experience moderate to poor recovery results with that + retraction strength work alone.

Colin McEndoo

Thanks Joshua, nope but I'll check those out now. My physio gave me a deep neck flexor stretch, thoracic mobility...basically upper back extensions over a foam roller, and lower trap activation drills with lat pulldown.

I really don't want to shelve the gymnastic work so working that alongside would be ideal, obviously it's going to require some time.