Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Basic Static Positions: Fundamental Rules Of Form

Quick Start Test Smith

Quick Start Test Smith

There are rules of form with all static positions, right? One of the most discussed position that I read about is the HS and the rules include tight body, pointed toes, shoulders up around ears, flat back, neutral head position, etc. I am not familiar with the rules of the other positions as I should be, so I would appreciate anyone helping me compile a list of positions with their respective rules of form. Thanks!

Since most of the four main FSP are in the book, and I'm not sure if the Admin here would have a problem with going over material that is an important part of the book. Please advise, admins.

Also, since there is little information on the very basic positions like arch up, hollow hold, etc. then I will include them.

Handstand:

- blank

Planche:

- blank

L-Sit:

- blank

Front Lever:

- blank

Back Lever:

- blank

Hollow Hold:

- Keep lower back flat on back

- Tight body

- Point toes

Arch Up:

PB Support:

- Protracted scapula?

Ring Support: 

- Protracted scapula?

Hollow Plank:

- Tight body

- Protracted scapula?

Inverted Hang: 

- Retracted scapula?

- Tight body

---

Thanks. I think this will help a lot of beginners if we can fill this out.

Quick Start Test Smith

Rik, I skimmed the first page and that seems to be only for scapular position and is not a summary of rules/guidelines. This is different.

For what it's worth:

Planche-protracted

L sit-pretty neutral

FL-retraction, but not full active retraction

BL-can be both, usually has some protraction and is easier this way

Ring Support-usually has protraction but I do not know if this is a rule

Inv. Hang-do you mean static, because I believe that while in the hang most gymnasts have pretty neutral scaps, however, before doing transition moves such as uprises I often see them protract hard and then transition. Someone else can answer and if there is meant to be retraction I'm sure it's not 'full' retraction.

Quick Start Test Smith

Thanks for the info ! Please remember that this post is not scapula specific. There is other helpful information too.

Ring support should have retracted scaps with arms off of the lats.

I'm surprised to hear this as well. Are you sure?

I'm pretty sure it's retracted because I remember finding a post from Coach or someone else say its retracted a long time ago. I'm not sure if I can find it. I would say it's not full retraction where your upper back arches, but it's like neutral. I think it's like the scapula position in an advanced L-sit or FL where it's retracted, but not full retraction either.

Joshua Slocum

In support the most important thing is to keep the scaps *depressed*. Most peoples' tendency is to protract and elevate the shoulders (e.g. to hunch), which may be why Coach Sommer said to retract them, since that counteracts the tendency to protract. Good posture in a support is similar to good posture while sitting in a chair: back straight, shoulders down, and neither protracted nor retracted. 

Open chest, flat back, tight core in support. Just look at the pics in the book if there is any confusion. Pretty sure he says it in the book too.

Good job, Zach.  Perfect description.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1