Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hip Flexion Pain

Daniel Burnham

Daniel Burnham

I have some significant tightness and pain after a workout where I straddle a lot. To give you a better idea it does not hurt if I bring my thigh straight up in front of me but as I abduct the leg outward it gets very tight and hurts.

It has been tight for some time and static stretching has not helped too much. The first time I felt the pain was after using kits hip flexor stretches at the seminar.

Does anyone know some good rehab for correcting this. I need to get it resolved as I am training the straddle planche. Strangely straddle l doesn't hurt as much as just lifting the leg and moving it outward.

Joshua Naterman

Sounds like a possible adductor strain. Might want to look up basic rehab for this online, but it's basically the Jane Fonda leg lifts, eventually with bands or ankle weights.

If, by chance, you try the stretch again, make SURE you keep the pelvis square and do not allow the stretching hip to drift backwards. That's when you start stretching the adductors, particularly pectineus and adductor brevis, quite strongly and lose focus on the hip flexors.

I find that nearly everyone makes this mistake.

I do not know if this is what happens with you.

It is also possible, but not likely, that you have some tissue fold impinged in the acetabulum. We can try some McMurray distraction for that, but we'll need a second helper. I'll do the distraction because I know what I'm doing, and I can direct the helper on how to perform passive ROM for you.

That may not change anything, but if you have impinged tissue then it is the only thing that will help.

Daniel Burnham

I do have a slight catch and pop as I move it outward if that means anything to you.  

Those Jane Fonda leg lifts are super hot.  I cant wait to do those at the gym.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

a catch and pop where, exactly?

Make sure you wear the proper attire for those leg lifts!

I posted a pic of my new squat set-up, it's pretty fantastic! Newest post on my log.

Daniel Burnham

Right at the crease of the leg about midway between the center of the groin and the outside of the leg. Happens when the leg angle is about 60 degrees out with the reference angle being straight ahead of my body.