Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scapular Work In Warmup?

Tyler Gibson

This could be the result of me coming from a powerlifting background, but I am under the impression that scapular work should be performed at the end of a workout, rather at the beginning. 

Correct me if I am wrong in the following:

Generally speaking in powerlifting you want the scapula to be fresh for the main lifts. Performing scapular work as part of a warmup fatigues the scapula which will cause improper scapular positioning in the main lifts. On the other hand, performing scapular work at the end of a workout allows the scapula to be fatigued and grow stronger without having a negative effect on the main lifts for the day. 

Because of the importance of scapular positioning in the FSPs, wouldn't it be more beneficial to perform scapular work at the end? 

OR, should Ido style scapular preparation be performed with low enough resistance that it mobilizes the scapula without fatiguing it? 

Daniel Burnham
OR, should Ido style scapular preparation be performed with low enough resistance that it mobilizes the scapula without fatiguing it? 

This is the definition of a warmup.  During the WU you want to warmup and reinforce body positions.  I implement "limbering" in my warmup as well so that I can actually get into the positions I need during the workout.

If you need extra mobility either embed it in your workout or you can wait until the end so that it wont interfere with the rest.  I regularly do mobility at the end that is much higher intensity than what I do in warmup.

• Upvote 1