Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Variations Of Handstand Wall Walks

Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro Mainente

during my training experience i've reached a decent level of strength, so this exercise sounds to be very easy for me. i can do 14-15 reps in a row, so there are other cast wall walks variations that can be used?

the variations i know now are:

-cast wall walks standard

-planche wall walks

-long hollow wall walks

now i'm working on planche wall walks, but what can be the reason of use the planche wall walks and not the long hollow wall walks and vice versa? i'm asking cause i don't understand one thing:

-in the WOD if the standard version is easy, is recommended to use the planche wall walks;

-in the youtube channel on one comment  there is the suggestion of use the long hollow wall walks.

looking to the movement one of these, the second one works more on closed shoulders muscles, the  third one works over the open shoulders muscles and i think the core i more stressed. so i don't think that one is the progression of the other.

is possible have a clarification?

thanks

Alex

Joshua Naterman

The extended version will be harder on your core, but that's it.

You'd most likely be better off with ab rollouts, but either way you already have the core strength you need. 

The planche version will continue to build the shoulder girdle strength you need for later movements like PL press to handstand and I think that this is where your time is best spent.

That's just my opinion, but that's what I think.

The extended version will be harder on your core, but that's it ... You'd most likely be better off with ab rollouts ...

Why?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman

In the beginning he'll have open shoulders, according to my understanding of what was described, and he'll have to use his core to maintain shape between two points that are at least 6.5-7 feet apart (hands and feet) instead of maybe 4-5 feet apart, and that will require a whole lot more work to come from the core muscles. He would essentially be extending the working lever of the top half of his mass by almost 80%, at least, and that's going to mean a lot more muscular effort in the core, particularly the anterior portion, compared to the planche position where he will have a ton of shoulder work, more posterior chain work, and less anterior core work..

However, i think that as soon as he gets up to even 45 degrees I don't think there'll be enough difference to matter because of the change in body position relative to  the line of gravity, which will also change how far away his hands are from his feet in linear horizontal distance, will make the position substantially easier than a hollow hold.

Haviing said that, I  think that anyone who has solid hollow hold + hollow rocks fully laid out (and to the 60 rep/second standards) will have little trouble with these, and may not notice any particularly huge amount of effort. I may be wrong, but when I was this strong in the past I didn't think this position was a whole lot more difficult by comparison with the hollow rocks and holds. I suppose there's some shoulder girdle strength required there too, but Alex definitely has that under control from what I can tell.

Thoughts?

• 1 month later...