Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One Arm Front Lever Difficulty Rating?

ngoachoi

Hi guys, any thoughts on this? A full one arm front lever with straight arm and body parallel to ground.What rating would you say it is if it was on a difficulty scale of A to E in gymnastic terms?

Which variation are we talking about? The one with the body rotated sideways or the one with the body facing up? 

If we are talking about the one with the body turned sideways then I will rate it a B. The OAFL with the body facing up is a lot harder and probably would be a C or above.

By the way, I love talking about the OAFL, it's one of my favorite moves.

Which variation are we talking about? The one with the body rotated sideways or the one with the body facing up? 

If we are talking about the one with the body turned sideways then I will rate it a B. The OAFL with the body facing up is a lot harder and probably would be a C or above.

By the way, I love talking about the OAFL, it's one of my favorite moves.

body facing up, hmm i would have thought it was more difficult aswel. But then i have seen it by about 7-8 different people

body facing up, hmm i would have thought it was more difficult aswel. But then i have seen it by about 7-8 different people

Yeah, I've only seen the sideways OAFL in only one video and the body facing up one in a couple videos done by a few people, but they weren't completely perfect. I guess that variation is more popular. I can do the sideways OAFL with decent form, but I can't do the other one. I feel the body facing up one puts more stress on the shoulder than the other one. 

Yeah, I've only seen the sideways OAFL in only one video and the body facing up one in a couple videos done by a few people, but they weren't completely perfect. I guess that variation is more popular. I can do the sideways OAFL with decent form, but I can't do the other one. I feel the body facing up one puts more stress on the shoulder than the other one. 

nice! have you got any video's of yourself doing it? and any tips on how u progressed?

I recently come back from a competition in Moscow (street workout), and litterally in the Ukrainian team 4 members was doing oafl at the same time!

nice! have you got any video's of yourself doing it? and any tips on how u progressed?

I recently come back from a competition in Moscow (street workout), and litterally in the russian team 4 members was doing oafl at the same time!

No I never got it recorded, but I'll try to get it on video as soon as I can. I haven't trained in a while due to finals and projects so I lost some strength in it and the regular FL, but I can still do a pretty decent one the other day.

As for how I progressed, I just used easier body positions like tuck and adv tuck and one day just got it. I first trained it when I had a 5 second full FL and was able to hold it in adv tuck already, then I took a break from it to focus on increasing time for my regular FL and when I was at about 10 seconds FL, I was able to do a decent one in full lay. I think OACs also help too, since I noticed that I've gotten 2 consecutive OACs when I had the OAFL and the arm with more OACs was the one that could do it better. One important cue I used was to roll the shoulders forward and down like in a proper iron cross where the biceps would be facing down when I execute the sideways OAFL.

I'm sure you can already do a decent one too on your first few tries since you are much stronger than me in the FL and FL pull-ups. I also see mainly the Russians and Ukrainians doing OAFL on youtube too. The body facing up version is my favorite variation and one of my goals.

No I never got it recorded, but I'll try to get it on video as soon as I can. I haven't trained in a while due to finals and projects so I lost some strength in it and the regular FL, but I can still do a pretty decent one the other day.

As for how I progressed, I just used easier body positions like tuck and adv tuck and one day just got it. I first trained it when I had a 5 second full FL and was able to hold it in adv tuck already, then I took a break from it to focus on increasing time for my regular FL and when I was at about 10 seconds FL, I was able to do a decent one in full lay. I think OACs also help too, since I noticed that I've gotten 2 consecutive OACs when I had the OAFL and the arm with more OACs was the one that could do it better. One important cue I used was to roll the shoulders forward and down like in a proper iron cross where the biceps would be facing down when I execute the sideways OAFL.

I'm sure you can already do a decent one too on your first few tries since you are much stronger than me in the FL and FL pull-ups. I also see mainly the Russians and Ukrainians doing OAFL on youtube too. The body facing up version is my favorite variation and one of my goals.

Hmm to be honest with you, although my fl pull ups are ok and i can hold normal fl for a decent amount of time the strength doesnt seem to convert too well on oafl's my right arm i can briefly get a 1 second hold where as my left arm i can only do oafl pulls.

3:03 is one of the cleanest i have seen on youtube

How many OACs can you do? I feel that if you can do 2 consecutive OACs on an arm then you can hold it for a few seconds with decent form. Can you hold it good with tuck or adv tuck as well? I guess the best way to get it is to progress with easier body positions although I had pretty decent carryover from other pulling exercises. You're talking about doing the sideways OAFL right?

How many OACs can you do? I feel that if you can do 2 consecutive OACs on an arm then you can hold it for a few seconds with decent form. Can you hold it good with tuck or adv tuck as well? I guess the best way to get it is to progress with easier body positions although I had pretty decent carryover from other pulling exercises. You're talking about doing the sideways OAFL right?
I haven't tried maxing out oac. Because i always start with Oap training before i do oac. But i can do 4-5 from dead hang Oap depending on what arm. probably about the same on oac? Ain't tried to be honest

And no i found it harder to do adv tuck on my right arm because my body moves sideways. Where if i kept my leg straight it wasn't as bad. U get this problem? I'm talking about body facing up front lever

I haven't tried maxing out oac. Because i always start with Oap training before i do oac. But i can do 4-5 from dead hang Oap depending on what arm. probably about the same on oac? Ain't tried to be honest

And no i found it harder to do adv tuck on my right arm because my body moves sideways. Where if i kept my leg straight it wasn't as bad. U get this problem?

You are very strong! I'm sure you can do more OACs than OAPs because they are a bit easier. It's strange that you feel it harder in adv tuck, do you find it takes the same amount of muscular strength or just because it's harder to stay still. No, I do not have that problem, but it does happen to me just not very often. Have you tried half lay and straddle? I feel straddle is as difficult as full lay. Have you tried rolling the shoulders (making your biceps face down instead of sideways), because my arms do that automatically and I'm not sure if I can do the OAFL without it. 

EDIT: I thought you were talking about the sideways variation when you asked me on how I progressed. I was actually talking about the sideways one. For the 'body up' one, I think I can do it in adv tuck, but I never remember turning in the tuck version. Can you do the full lay sideways OAFL too?

Here's a video from long ago of me doing one.

I don't know how to embed things anymore since the site switched.

When I pull up, I put my other hand on my elbow and lift. This gives me a little help. Before I had it at my wrist. This is an old video and now I don't need any help to do this. You can start with one hand on the ring and one on the wrist and work the off hand lower and lower. Do this to go up then do negatives and isometrics down.

Did you progress to straddle of full lay in the 'body up' OAFL now Alex? I remember you said you could do a partial rep of a full lay OAFL row in the sideways variation right?

I recently come back from a competition in Moscow (street workout), and litterally in the Ukrainian team 4 members was doing oafl at the same time!

at 4:48 this is the moment of them doing it.

I just tried the adv tuck 'body up' OAFL and yes I spin a lot.

I can do a straddle now, yes. And yes I can do a partial rep of the row. I haven't worked on it much in favor of OACs though.

That's awesome! Do you have it on video and how much OACs could you do when you had the straddle OAFL or the partial rep of the row in the full sideways.

Can you do the full lay sideways OAFL too?

I havent tried this version of fl yet. It never really interested me but i will try it.

When i do OAFL i feel the muscle working directly behind the shoulder(rear deltroid or maybe slightly lower) whereas OAP i feel muscle tension much lower in the lats, maybe thats why im getting little carryover benefits?

ps im injured atm.. got the same injury twice in 2 months now. even after taking a month off from training. So now im just doing alot of reading/research instead.

I just tried the adv tuck 'body up' OAFL and yes I spin a lot.

That's awesome! Do you have it on video and how much OACs could you do when you had the straddle OAFL or the partial rep of the row in the full sideways.

I don't have it on video. I will take one when I get the chance though. I can do two in a row on a good day. I'm working toward doing 3-4 in a row.

If we're talking about a more or less perfect OAFL, with locked out elbows and high hips with little to no pike, well obviously they would never rate it in gymnastics but hypothetically, I think it would be rated higher than a B...

I could be wrong but doing one with proper form is quite difficult. I've seen people do some phenomenal OAFL attempts, but similarly to the VC, never yet with straight arms or ideal body alignment. Close though. Btw good on you Alex! One of the best attempts I've seen! You've inspired me to continue training it myself :)

I havent tried this version of fl yet. It never really interested me but i will try it.

I'm sure you can pull off and hold a decent or perfect one for a while with your strong pulling strength. It's also not my favorite variation too and good luck in your recovery.

I don't have it on video. I will take one when I get the chance though. I can do two in a row on a good day. I'm working toward doing 3-4 in a row.

That's very beastly! Do you roll your shoulders when you do it? How many OACs can you do now?

If we're talking about a more or less perfect OAFL, with locked out elbows and high hips with little to no pike, well obviously they would never rate it in gymnastics but hypothetically, I think it would be rated higher than a B...

I could be wrong but doing one with proper form is quite difficult. I've seen people do some phenomenal OAFL attempts, but similarly to the VC, never yet with straight arms or ideal body alignment. Close though. Btw good on you Alex! One of the best attempts I've seen! You've inspired me to continue training it myself :)

I think it would definitely be rated higher than a B. I've seen some attempts on youtube that were very good and almost perfect. Forum member handbalancer said he has seen an old black and white photo of a circus performer do it in full lay with perfect form. I also heard that Jasper Benincasa could do it perfectly too. It seems that a number of rock climbers get it too. I wonder if Coach's boys can do it.

Mirroredrain you told me you can do a decent one from training the victorian mostly. So do you think Danny Rodrigues can do a perfect one?

I'd love it if Handbalancer could track that down...yea I'd believe Jasper had one. John Gill (boulderer) had some serious OASL strength. Not with perfect form but he could do rows I heard. O.O

The one that I had was decent but still piked and with a bent arm so I've gone back to tuck with a locked out elbow. I don't think Danny ever trains such moves that are only using one arm on the rings but I definitely believe he could do a perfect one. Probably on the first attempt. And if not at first then he'd probably just have to get himself oriented to the feel of the move and bang it out soon there after. He's such a strong guy but also small, I think he'd fall asleep in a OAFL.

That OASL you mentioned John Gill doing is considered a type of OAFL by Coach Sommer! I could do that type with locked arm and no pike, but with a slight arch in the obliques otherwise I was about 10 degrees below horizontal with a perfectly straight body. Alex Chubb has said he can do rows in that variation of the OAFL too like John Gill.  :eek:

Yeah, I'm sure Danny can wipe the floor with the OAFL if he decided to attempt it or train it. He has the much harder victorian.

I do because I've dabbled around with what I call an actual OASL, which is literally facing straight out with your stratus anterior facing the rings and an even distribution between the pecs and lats. Congrats both of you by the way, I consider both of those respectable accomplishments!

Thanks man! I used to call it OASL as well. I feel it most of the time in the chest the most when I do it although the lats get worked a lot too and the triceps long head. I believe it recruits the muscles in a way similar to the iron cross since they're both adduction and the 'body up' OAFL works more similar to the regular FL. In my opinion and experience the 'body up' OAFL is a lot harder. I'm nowhere close to full lay in that one although I never really trained it.

I've also thought of this move that I'm not sure if it already exists in aerial straps world. It is from the sideways OAFL (OASL) rotate body up or down to reach the 'body up' OAFL or the OABL or even all the way up of meathook or flag/reverse meathook so it's basically just freely rotating your body throughout the ROM to transition to the other one arm levers. It can be done on bars, rings, or straps.

Ouch. If I'm imagining that correctly you'd have to have the most per-conditioned shoulders in the world to do that. Even then yikes! Your idea kind of reminds me of a theoretical OA 360 pull.