Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oac Carryover To Elbow Preparation?

Tyler Gibson

I have spent the last three months training specifically for a one-arm chin. Because this skill puts a lot of strain on the elbow tendons, my program included a lot of joint preparation: high volume pullups, back lever with palms facing down to emphasize the bicep, weighted pull/chin lockoffs, and one-arm lockoffs/isometrics. I can now get a decent one arm (not quite from dead hand) consistently without any elbow pain.

I'm wondering if anyone else who can one-arm has experienced any carryover in strength of the tendons in the elbow when transitioning to other skills that are intense on the bicep (e.g. planche).

Honestly, and I love the one arm chinup, the carry over to straight arm strength is pretty much negligible. Don't misunderstand as I am not saying it doesn't help at all. Obviously stronger lats and other pulling musculature will help with pulling moves to an extent BUT as far it helping with elbow prep I'd say it is quite a poor way of prepping your elbows. 

This opinion is from my own experiences with the OAC (I can do a few on my left and one on my right) as well as other people that I've talked to, such as John Gill. I also believe that Coach himself has stated that a OAC is a poor prerequisite for straight arm strength. 

The reason for this is pretty simple, the OAC does not pose any significant demands on the elbow joint when the arm is straight (dead hang). The strain starts when you bend the arm but in straight arm strength bending the elbow even slightly completely changes the move. So in essence you are not training anything of significant value for straight arm strength (besides getting stronger of course). 

Thanks AlexX, that's very helpful. That is sort of what I though, as bent arm strength never really has a carryover to straight arm strength, but I was curious because after all my one arm training my elbows feel very strong. 

Thanks AlexX, that's very helpful. That is sort of what I though, as bent arm strength never really has a carryover to straight arm strength, but I was curious because after all my one arm training my elbows feel very strong. 

I know what you mean, when I first started training the OAC the straight on my elbows was quite intense and I thought surely this will carry over to straight arm strength. Sadly though, like I mentioned before, it trains the elbow at the wrong range of motion for straight arm strength. Still one of my favorite moves though  :)

i image the OAC conditions the outer elbow well but not the inner elbow

I think it stresses the inner elbows because I hear people report having tendonitis in the biceps tendon all the time from it and plus the OAC does use the biceps and elbow flexors to curl. The outer elbows don't stress the biceps tendon unlike the inner elbows.

For the OP, I don't believe OACs would help condition the biceps tendon and inner elbows for straight arm exercises that well except maybe a little to some extent. I never felt any stress from the tendons or elbows when doing OACs even in high volume.

I think it stresses the inner elbows because I hear people report having tendonitis in the biceps tendon all the time from it and plus the OAC does use the biceps and elbow flexors to curl. The outer elbows don't stress the biceps tendon unlike the inner elbows.

Yep that's where I got tendinitis from it by being too aggressive with training. Straight arm work I feel on the lateral side (outer) while oac work I feel medially (inside).