Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Finished the Book, Quick Program Design Questions

Guest smock

Hi folks,

Finished the book, really enjoyed it, and looking to put some of the ideas into practice but I have a few questions...

First up, program design: the example in static training has the planche work being divided into 10 six-second sets (Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri). Basic strength training suggests 3x3 or 3x5 schemes (also Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri). Integrated training (which I would like to follow) advocates mixing the two, with static work preceding basic strength work. The book also states:

In integrated training, the steady state cycle established for your static strength work will be set aside in favor of either the PTTP or the steady state cycle that you will be following for your basic strength work.

So this means I start with a static hold (held longer than if I were doing 10 sets, I assume?) rest a bit, then do the corresponding basic strength exercise. That constitutes one set. Repeat that cycle two more times and that's the three sets, right?

Hard to adjust to the idea that just three sets will do the trick, but I like it. :-)

Also, I can probably deduce these on my own, but I don't suppose there's a table suggesting exercise pairings anywhere?

Thanks!

Jim

matthew.percussion

I can help a little about the pairings.

Pressing....Pulling

Push-up Row

Dip Curl

HSPU Pull-Up

As far as pairing the static positions with basic strength exercises all I know is what the book explains on p. 178.

I think the WODs will explain this. Hopefully Coach will start those soon. I'm getting antsy without them. :P

Hi,

I am also confused but from my reading this is what I understand (not saying it's totaly right):

Example(could be any variation of the following to suit your strength level):

Mon:

A1 Pullup

A2 HSPU

B1 Hanging leg lift

B2 Single leg squat

Wed:

A1 Row

A2 Pushup

B1 Lower back

B2 Hamstring

Fri:

A1 Curl

A2 Dip

B1 Oblique

B2 Deck squat

Then for integrated you would have say planche paired with for example dip, pushup and HSPU. Front lever paired with curl, row and pullup. L sit paired with oblique, lower back and hanging leg lift.

Obviously you have CPP's etc but this is a rough outline and as I said I'm not sure I'm right here so don't take it too seriously. It's just how I read it. I am also confused with the bit that says use steady state for basic strength but for static strength with integrated. Maybe since basic strength is mainly 3 sets we do 3 sets of statics. This would make sense since you pair them with the bodyweight exercises. Whether you use half your max with these I'm not sure. And I'm also not sure whether we use the same static holds each training day or do different ones on different training days like you do with the bodyweight exercises. I'm sure the WOD's will help you get a good grasp of a template/ structure.

Sorry if this wasn't clear but I hope it helped a bit.

matthew.percussion

@ gymrob, thanks for helping me explain that. You said what I was trying to say, but clearer. :D

I'm making a full weeks workout plan. I'm almost done. I'll post it in the workout logs section and hit you up with a link if you'd like to see it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I had the same question and I posed it to Coach. I wish I found this post earlier...

Anyway, I would expect that you either A) just do the 3 sets of each appropriate static hold that coincides with the exercise OR B) save the extra 3 sets of static training for the end of the workout? B seems a little harder to do though cause you are talking another 4-12 sets of (depending on your level of proficiency). Can anyone out there clarify?

My other question pertains to core work. There are SO many choices (for example 3 choices in just the straight body category) which do you pick? Should there be 1 straight body core exercise in the workout as well?

Hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes, just a little confused.

Hi Ortprod,

I am confused with exactly the same things. At a guess I would guess that if you are doing 3 sets for exercises you should do 3 sets for the statics. For example:

3X3 Pistols and 3 sets of front lever holds paired.

Also, if this is true and you do 3 sets of statics do you still work in sets of half your max? Even though it may be only 3 sets of statics there are quite a few each workout such as: Lsit, planche, back and front lever that are all paired with the basic strength exercises within the workouts.

In general when starting a cycle and using a weighted exercise I'm not sure how much to increase the weight by each cycle but I guess as long as you have a percieved overload at the start and you can perform 3-5 reps.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hey Gymrob,

Yes, exactly. I just tried this out today and it seemed like the perfect amount for the time. And yes, I still only used half my max for time (e.g. 6second holds) despite the fact that I am not doing the full minute.

If it only took you 3 sets to hit the volume of 60s and you were working on 50% max, you would probably be served mo' bettah by working on a more difficult progression. Once you can do it 15s-20s, you should be moving on to the next progression, if you can.

Hey Blairbob,

I only used a 6 second hold (my max being about 12-15seconds) and I didn't worry about the full minute. We are trying to find out if we should go for the whole minute somehow. Maybe either putting the rest of the static work at beginning or end of the workout. I thought I saw Coach mention putting all static work at the end of the workout at some point (not in the book) but I could be mistaken.

George Launchbury

As far as my understanding goes:

• [*:yz5rz43k]Static training can be done effectively alone
    [*:yz5rz43k]It can be placed at the beginning or end of a workout
    [*:yz5rz43k]Can be paired with the FBEs (integrated training)

When the FSPs are paired with the FBEs, they become greater than the sum of their parts, so less is more. I would surmise that one should perform a static hold of a duration that can be maintained through all work sets without failing. This depends on so many factors (especially when considering supersetting with dynamic exercises) that trial and error is probably the best way to go forward. A good starting point is to go with the same hold duration advice as for FSP programming (50% max per rep) and see how you go.

I don't think hitting the whole 00:60 is relevant with integrated training, as I note that when pairing an FSP with an FBE, the shoulder girdle gets direct work for both parts of each combo, while the extensors/flexors of the elbow alternate. For example:

Pressing combo

• [*:yz5rz43k]Planche variant: anterior deltoids, pectorals, biceps
    [*:yz5rz43k]Pressing movement: anterior deltoids, pectorals, triceps

Pulling combo

• [*:yz5rz43k]Front lever: Lats*, triceps
    [*:yz5rz43k]Pull-ups: Lats*, biceps

* Generalisation of the pulling muscles 'twixt upper arm and torso.

Regards,

George.

• 1 month later...
Dillon Castro

I have a question that deals with volume.In the integrated training section of the program design chapter it says planche work with pressing variations, front lever work with leg varations, back lever with pulling variations etc. My training partner and i have only incorporated one fbe with each fsp with each workout. My question is whether it is more or less beneficial to do say two or more fbes after fsps? I'm trying to adhere strictly to the steady state training cycle allowing ample recovery, but i just want to be sure there is not more i can do, short of overtraining myself, to increase the benefits of this program.

Theodore Bushnell
As far as my understanding goes:

I don't think hitting the whole 00:60 is relevant with integrated training, as I note that when pairing an FSP with an FBE, the shoulder girdle gets direct work for both parts of each combo, while the extensors/flexors of the elbow alternate. For example:

Regards,

George.

George,

Thanks for that comment. I have been including 60s of each FSP while doing integrated training. I believe the volume/intensity of this combination contributed to my recent bout of elbow tendonitis. Overall, the tendonitis issue has been a useful experience pointing out shortcomings in my joint prep work as well as making clear that my training volume was more than my body could tolerate/adapt to. I may also have to improve my reading skills. :D

Cheers,

ted.