Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Treating/dealing With Tennis Elbow Symptoms

Mikael Kristiansen

Mikael Kristiansen

I am currently experiencing some tenderness and slight discomfort around the lateral epicondyle at the elbow of my right arm. Some of the wrist flexors are also tender, mostly close to the elbow and I have noticed some trigger points in both my triceps and brachialis. The elbow also tends to make grinding noises if i pronate the wrist and curl. It also grinds when i do pushups/dips with the wrist flat and fingers pointing forwards. It happens just before I straighten the elbow. No noise or discomfort if i do on the knuckles or paraletes though. Straight arm skills such as planche and press handstandsdoes not bother it the slightest.

As for my training situation, im working as a handbalancer in a show at the moment, so taking time off isnt really an option until christmas. There is no real pain involved even on days where I have done 3+ hours of handbalancing and acro training and then a full show. I am pretty sure it has come because of extensive training on lowering down to 1 arm elbow lever from a 1 arm flag. The very bottom of the ROM is tough on the arm and elbow joint. I have of course left that out of my training for now, but I am looking for specific re/prehab exercises that can be used to keep it in check until I can take time off. I spend a lot of time rolling out my both my fore- and upper arms.

Though im no expert, I suspect that my wrist extensors are underdeveleoped in comparison with my flexors as i do an insane amounts of handstands. I also am looking to understand the condition more, so if anyone has had any experiences with this or knowledge about the matter I am interested.

Joshua Naterman

Though im no expert, I suspect that my wrist extensors are underdeveleoped in comparison with my flexors as i do an insane amounts of handstands. I also am looking to understand the condition more, so if anyone has had any experiences with this or knowledge about the matter I am interested.

Wrist extensors and triceps being proportionally under-trained is a likely cause.

As far as effective rehab, I would suggest gua sha for the entire arm (but not to raise sha, unless you can perform with mottled skin for 4 days) to promote mast cell proliferation and release, which will speed up healing.

Adding that to SMR with a lacrosse ball that is followed by stretching and I think you will have a simple, cheap and effective rehab solution.

Your primary rehab exercises will be based on wrist extensor training, and should include spreading rubber bands with the fingertips and thumb as well as hooking your fingers around a dumbbell and doing reverse curls with the finger grip.

You could also use bands for reverse curls, with the band around the outside of the most distal finger joint. This would be the most specific, but also the most difficult. You'll be able to do it, of course, just thought I'd mention that this is the most taxing and therefore should be approached with slightly more caution in terms of exercise volume.

Your body will talk to you, it's not like this is muscle ups where you will be tearing things up before you know what has happened :) Just train for the burn. Fast concentrics, slow eccentrics.

• Upvote 1

Mikael Kristiansen

Excellent answer. Just this kind of info i was looking for. I have an elastic with me on tour and i have been doing some reverse curls but i didnt think of the finger extending with the band. I will definitely try this.