Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carryovers

Sailor Venus

Is there any carryovers from certain exercises that would help another exercises like ones I listed below or do you have to learn each and every individual exercises from scratch?

Front lever - glide kip

bench press - push up

lat pull machine - pull up

tap swings on horizontal/uneven bar - kettlebell swings and vice versa

pistol squats - weighted squats (or deadlifts) and vice versa

shoulder press - handstand push ups

weighted calf raises - rebounds from round-off snap downs

tricep kick back - dips on parallel bars

There's a few more I want to add but can't remember what else they were. Note that I don't lift weights anymore so I forgot whats it feels like lifting weights. I still do olympic lifts on a weekly basis.

Christian Nogueira

This is solely my opinion and I'm a novice at exercising, but I think the answer is that there's some carryover but it'll vary a lot.

Every exercise has its particularities and movement patterns so you have to learn them. I think Coach said that training for a one arm chin ups increased his weighted pull up load more than training weighted pull ups. My take is that it'll vary from exercise pair to exercise pair and it'll vary from athlete to athlete and I'd go as far as saying that it'll vary in your training cycles as in sometimes, a related exercise is just what you need to break a plateau or solidify some position.

For example, for me pistol squats and barbell squats are totally different in that pistol squats don't use the hamstrings much and in way it's more of a tension exercise than pure strength as a back squat so there's little transfer.