Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gymnastics/weightlifting Program

substance

Hi Guys,

Got the book about a week ago and have been trying to create a program that uses both gymnastics and weightlifting. The book is great but i struggled to work out the programming side of it. Anyway, this is what i have managed to nut out after reading though the various programming posts on the board. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Monday

Squats

Power Clean

Back extensions

Tuesday

Pushups/planche

Pullups/Backlever

v-ups/l-sits

Handstands/front lever

Wednesday

Dips/Planche

curls/Backlever

Flag negatives/l-sits

Handstand /Frontlever

Sprints

Friday

Squats

Deadlifts

Back Extensions

Saturday

Handstand Pushup/Planche

Rows/ Back lever

HLL/L-sit

Handstand /Frontlever

Each of the gymnastics days in split into two circuits (3 rounds) with small rest (45-90s) between exercises. Weightlifting days are based on Ripps Practical programming to provide strength, power and an increased hormonal response.

i've always heard power before strength... cleans before squats... and i might rest more on the gymnastic days... maybe 2-3 minutes...

John Filippini

The power before strength piece is goal dependent. If the priority is raw strength (ala powerlifting or starting strength), then this exercise order makes sense -- the power cleans are an auxiliary stimulus. If the priority is power (ala oly lifting), then switching the order does make sense, but you'd probably be better served mixing in some snatches or full cleans in that case anyway. The deadlifts also wouldn't need to be high load, just higher than your snatches and cleans.

I'm just starting to learn a little about gymnastics programming, but this seems like a fairly good way to blend powerlifting with gymnastics. I've myself been curious about blending weightlifting (read oly lifting) with gymnastics. My current thoughts have been more in line with macro cycles focusing on one or the other for several months while doing maintenance on the other, but it would be interesting if anyone has ideas on how to combine them concurrently.

Also, while I understand why you removed pressing movements on the lifting side, I'm not sure I'm 100% convinced on that. Having a weight overhead and having the earth overhead (underhead?) always seemed different, but maybe that's because I'm bad at the latter.

In my limited experience combining the two, I haven't felt it necessary to come with any clever programming strategies. In general, the gymnastics work seems to have no effect on recovery. I do the workouts at separate times of the day, however, and it should also be noted that I am by no means advanced on my gymnastics progressions. I think it's fair to assume that for those capable of planches, mannas, etc. probably require more recovery time from those workouts. The degree to which needed recovery increases, however, I have no idea. Hopefully there is someone here with experience in this area who can comment on the topic.

It's easy.

Most of the weightlifting you would use = lower body work. Gymanstics progression (minus pistols & other leg work) = upper body work. Full body routine. Simple.

It's easy.

Most of the weightlifting you would use = lower body work. Gymanstics progression (minus pistols & other leg work) = upper body work. Full body routine. Simple.

However, that doesn't address the issue for those who do want to combine upper body weight work and gymnastics work for the distinct benefits each provides. Unfortunately, it seems as if they're aren't many people interested in combining the two. The weight crowd is mostly unaware of gymnastics, and the gymnastics crowd doesn't desire to use weights, because hypertrophy is unnecessary for their goals.

I agree with Steve. What upper bodyweight exercises with BB or going to trump BW? Pullovers...peh. Bench Press, work planche. Overhead press? Work handstand pushup. Rows? lever work or inverted pullup [ bw curl by Sommer ].

Maybe push press or push jerk/split jerk. Front or side raises...kips, uprises or crosses.

Unless of course you just love upper body with a BB then go for it...but upper body BW pretty much covers it unless you're doing some unique exercises.

Scotty Hagnas

When focusing on gymnastic strength, I find keeping heavy push presses or jerks in my program one day a week works well. I'll do 3X5, or 3X3 usually. Supporting heavy weight overhead is still important for well rounded athletic ability.

When focusing on gymnastic strength, I find keeping heavy push presses or jerks in my program one day a week works well. I'll do 3X5, or 3X3 usually. Supporting heavy weight overhead is still important for well rounded athletic ability.

Freestanding HSPUs.... with a weight vest ;)