Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Newbie Help, L-Sit Press To Tuck Planche

vxld0

Hello Everyone, I'm excited since this is my first post in this wonderful place.:)

Well, here I go..

I just decided to start working on the WODs.

Obviously I have to scale down to one of the easiest versions of every movement.

The WOD for November 27 requires us to do 2 L-sit presses to tuck planche..

Here is the problem, I feel that my L-sit is "descent." I feel like I claim that it is not horrible.

However, I can't do a tuck planche...

How should I go about scaling this movement.

I believe that I can go from tuck support to descent L-sit and back to tuck support.

Should I just try my best to push back as far as possible from the tuck support?

Or is there another movement I could substitute?

Any help is greatly appreciated.:D

Vincent Stoyas

Coach once told me to do the negative portion of it.

Start in PL and lower into L sit. That's one repetition. Stand and repeat for the next repetition.

Daniel Burnham

From my perspective the main benefit of that exercise is to learn to rotate your body at the shoulders with straight arms and gain strength in controlling that. If you cannot get into a tuck planche at all then doing l-sit to tuck support would be about half the movement and a reasonable way to scale the exercise without replacing it completely. I would do what you are suggesting and just perform half the movement until your planche gets stronger.

When you are able to get into tuck planche it would be useful to do what vinceroo said and do the negative.

Vincent Stoyas

When you are able to get into tuck planche it would be useful to do what vinceroo said and do the negative.

You don't think he should do a normal frogstand or Adv. Frogstand and lower through? I hold an Adv. Frogstand and then continue the negative.

Daniel Burnham

I guess you could go from adv. frog stand though I bet most would fall to the support due to lack of strength. I don't think it would work with frogstand though because your legs are on the outside of your arms. This would require you to go to the tuck first then lower down. Frogstand is more for learning how to put yourself on two hands rather than a real planche position in itself.

Do the exercise as if you CAN do a tuck planche. Move from your l-sit to support then let your shoulders drift forward slightly, and press your hands down and forward like you would do in any planche variation (which you may have only experienced in a planche lean).

By all means, if you're pressing as hard as you can then in time you'll be able to press into a tuck planche.

Vincent Stoyas

I guess you could go from adv. frog stand though I bet most would fall to the support due to lack of strength. I don't think it would work with frogstand though because your legs are on the outside of your arms. This would require you to go to the tuck first then lower down. Frogstand is more for learning how to put yourself on two hands rather than a real planche position in itself.

Yes, I'll accept this reasoning. I found moving from Adv. Frog to L sit was doable by me because I know I can hold a Tuck PL for a few seconds, so lowering through it was okay. Thanks for your time.

Do the exercise as if you CAN do a tuck planche. Move from your l-sit to support then let your shoulders drift forward slightly, and press your hands down and forward like you would do in any planche variation (which you may have only experienced in a planche lean).

By all means, if you're pressing as hard as you can then in time you'll be able to press into a tuck planche.

That sounds like a recipe for disaster. A disaster I put myself through and injured my elbow.

Awesome, thank you guys for replying..

So tomorrow,, well,, later,, I will be working on this movement...

I cannot hold an advanced frogstand,, My elbows just bend,, this obviously tells me I need more tendon strength in my elbow joint.

So, doing negative presses is out of my abilities as of right now.

I believe that my best bet right now is to do the l-sit and press back to tuck support,, attempting to push my hips back as much as possible(which is probably 1 or 2 inches behind regular support anyways).

Hopefully I can work this out because I just started to follow the WODs and I'm ready to benefit from them.:)

That sounds like a recipe for disaster. A disaster I put myself through and injured my elbow.

I didn't know that the OP is being restricted by the lack of bicep tendon strength.. or recovering from any kind of injury to the elbow. If that's the case, then there's more to worry about then a simple l-sit press to planche.

I presumed that wasn't the case, since adv. frog stance is being considered. Especially because the position has weight resting directly on the elbow. My suggestion of merely flexing the shoulder in attempts to move into a tuck planche (which isn't possible unless the shoulders drift very slightly forward) may be inappropriate for someone without a mediocre level of bicep strength... or an injury.