Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Planche...

I know there are a million of these planche training schedules, but here I am asking the same questions again.

Can I work planche everyday? If not, how often, and does that apply to all isometric (static) excercises?

If my max tuck planche hold is 12sec, I divide it by two and multiply that with 10, to get my 60 second, I read in the BTGB-book. But when am I supposed to test my max again and go for longer holds? I assume that I'm switching progression after I can hold, for instance, a tuck planche for 60 sec.

Sorry if these questions are getting too repetitive...

Chris

Aaron Griffin

If 12s is your max, do 10x6s as your warmup for 6-8 weeks without change. Then retest your max hold time and repeat

According to my experience, if I have a 12s max hold and do an SSC of 6s sets, more than 5 of those sets are too much. I do either 60s of aggregate work or 5 sets with half of my max.

• Upvote 1

Joseph Fradelakis

Have you worked on the prerequisites at all? If you have not, even if you can hold a 12s tuck with PERFECTLY straight arms, I would work on planche leans for 6-8 weeks to injury proof the body a bit before you go running into 10 sets of 6 seconds.

Alternatively if your body is ready, try the 10 sets of 6s for 6-8 weeks, then retest the tuck planche.

I wouldn't do it everyday if you're just beginning this type of stuff. Try it for 2-3 days of the week and add in days according to how you feel.

Also, you do not need to hold a tuck planche for 60s before moving to adv tuck planche. The book mentions once you can surpass 15s, test the harder variation and if you can hold it for a solid 5 seconds, then work the advanced variation. It might be better to extend the 15s to 30s though since it is an "easier" variation and it can only help condition the body parts involved.

As for all static elements, the more complex and intense they become (iron cross etc.) the less time per set you will be using and as for frequency. What is your body ready for is the question. start slow and add!

• Upvote 1

Thank you guys for your replies! I actually tested my tuck planche today, and it turned out that I could hold it for 25 seconds... I must have been really tired when I tested my max last time, or training planche for two days has given me an increase with 13 seconds (which sounds pretty stupid)....

I used to be able to hold an advanced tuck a couple of months ago, but then I stoped training the planche (also stupid). So my question is again, theoretically, if I feel that I'm strong enough, can I train planche everyday? I mean does it hurt my joints or does the muscles need more time to recover? maybe 5 times a week is enough?

again, thanks for the replies!

Is mastering one-arm pushup useful for planche pushup?

Not really unless you are really weak where it may help a little because they're both pushing exercises.

Joseph Fradelakis

while being able to crank out one arm pushups won't hurt the planche, it won't prepare the body for it either. to do that you have to do straight arm work. that's why the planche has its own progressions because it is one of the safer ways of transitioning into it

You can also achieve legs together one arm push-ups without ever having to train specifically for them if you train the planche and have decent triceps strength.

You can also achieve legs together one arm push-ups without ever having to train specifically for them if you train the planche and have decent triceps strength.

You're neglecting the massive rotational component of the legs-together one-arm pushup. It's pretty important.

You're neglecting the massive rotational component of the legs-together one-arm pushup. It's pretty important.

I didn't think we needed to directly train for the rotational component because I could do legs-together one-arm push-ups without ever training them when I had straddle planche or full planche. I'm talking about the ones where you bend at the hips rather than keeping the body straight the whole time. I don't think it's possible to do that unless you place the hand under the sternum like the one from CC book #1 and that's what I would call a one arm diamond push-up which takes massive triceps strength.

Joshua Naterman

According to my experience, if I have a 12s max hold and do an SSC of 6s sets, more than 5 of those sets are too much. I do either 60s of aggregate work or 5 sets with half of my max.

This is what almost everyone will find to be the upper limit of good training.

Everyone, try to remember one thing:

All you need to do to get stronger is to do more than your body is currently used to. Going from 0 seconds of tuck planche per workout to 60s is insane, especially when all you can hold is 10-12 seconds max.

3-5 sets of 6-7 seconds is all you need, especially starting off. I'd start with 2 sets, and then go to 3 sets, and so on. I would take 4 weeks to transition into 4-5 sets per workout, and that's with working planche 3x per week.

I have been saying this for a long time, and I believe it to be true: Don't do more than 4-5 sets for any low leverage movements. It isn't safe to do more, and it isn't smart. Your best results will come from frequent training that is fairly intense but fairly low volume. And when training this way, especially when not training to failure, it is very important to eat a lot of carbs + 30g protein immediately PWO, and then continue getting food regularly for at least 4 hours.