Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Newbie with multiple fractures

ebenezer

Hi everyone,

I am Ebenezer from India. I am a newbie both to gymnastic training and to the forum. I lift weights regularly though. Now to the question ( a little history here. please bear with me.) In 2006 I had a pretty nasty car accident that resulted in my right arm bone( right humerous ) being broken at 6 places and have 4 titanium plates permanently fitted to aid the bones and a lot of body scars due to flesh wounds. But my doctor knowing that I was a community level boxer suggested that I keep up with the physical fitness in a gradually increasing level. Now to the present. I can dead-lift 200 kg, bench a 100 kg and squat a 140 kg at a body-weight of 84 kg at 5' 10". My body-fat is around 14.5%. With my boxing ambitions down the pipe, I wanted to take up some sport to keep me busy during weekends. Being fascinated with mountain climbing, I took up gymnastic training to improve my body-weight strength. But to my dismay I am utterly faltering in body-weight exercises. I have ordered the book,DVD and rings and expect to arrive anytime now.

I can do 10 pullups/chinups, 10 parallette pushups and hold 15 sec on the L-sit. I tried my hand at the planche and I had excruciating pain in my broken arm though after I got up I never had a glimpse of it. The same applies to the one arm pushup. I am not sure how I should progress further. Any help to structure a program around the book and DVD is welcome. Also I am expecting to put some muscle on my right arm as it looks thin compared to the left arm and looks very disproportionate any advice on the same is also welcome. Please help out as i consider to be a great forum to get good ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Ebenezer

George Launchbury

Hi Ebenezer,

Since you are able to do standard pushups/pullups with no problems, and seem to have a generally good level of strength, it might simply be that you need to work on slightly more planche-specific exercises before making the jump? There is a lot of great information in the book on the different exercises and their variations, not to mention planning your own program - so hang on a little longer until they arrive!!

In the interim, try performing your pushups with your hands closer to your hips (i.e. behind your shoulders slightly) both as controlled pushups and with the inclusion of a 2-3 second pause at the half way point. Move them back far enough that you are able to do around 3 sets of 3-5 reps.

In case anyone else has some further input it might be helpful to know:

• [*:2fk64qiv]Was the pain in the humerus itself, or around the elbow joint?
    [*:2fk64qiv]Which variation were you attempting? Frog stand? Tuck planche?

Regards,

George.

Dear George,

Thanks for input. As for your questions, the pain is not what therapists call shooting pain, its what physio guys calls clamping pain. Shooting pain is the one which is like pins stuck in your flesh. This pain is more like a vice clamping on the bone due to the loading. And yes its in the humerus bone and also a little on the shoulder and elbow. Not that I have a meter to measure or anything but I would say elbow 30%, shoulder 30% and humerus 40%. I was trying with the frog planche and could not lockout my arms. I am able to be in the bent arm position when doing on the parallette.

The funny thing is, rushing into things once I was just able to lift myself off the ground on the parallette, I tried a handstand and dutifully crash landed disillusioned :shock: for a minute. But as you rightly said, when the book and DVD arrives I would be in a better proposition I guess.

• 5 months later...

ebnzr - Good to see that I am not the only person from India on here. I will post an intro shortly.