Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Critique my programming

Mike B

Basically a 3 day rotation with ME Black Box in the middle day and one rest day with embedded static holds.

for now, the sets will be 3x5

Day 1

Push-ups/planche progression

Rows/back lever progression

One Leg Squats/Front lever progression

V-ups/L-sit progression

Day 2

MEBB

Day 3

Curls/Back lever progression

Dips/ Planche Progression

KB Swing/ Front Lever progression

Hanging Leg Lift/Straddle-L progression

Day 4

Rest

Day 5

Head Stand pushup/planche progression

Pull-up/Back lever progression

OLS/ Front lever progression

V-ups/ L-sit progression

Day 6

MEBB

Day 7

Muscle-up/ Planche-Back Lever progression

Swing/ front lever progression

HLL/Straddle-L progression

Day 8

rest

repeat

any advice or criticism would be valued. thanks

I think it looks like a pretty good routine for the most part. I know that some crossfitters replace the middle day of every 3 WODs with a maximum effort black box session, and it makes some sense for them since most of their training is high in reps and low in intensity. Gymnastic strength training, on the other hand should be fairly high in intensity, so I don't think that so many maximal effort sessions would be necessary or wise. Also, I notice you have KB swings in there. If they are somewhat heavy and/or low in reps, the placement of them is okay, but if they are high rep swings, they should be done after you finish all of your strength training.

It looks pretty good to me ... a sample routine like this should have been included in the book IMHO, quite helpful to see it put together.

My only thoughts for improvement are: there isn't much work for the legs as the KB swings don't hit them much (for me it is more of a lower back exercise), and you are neglecting the obliques. Maybe replace the swings with some hamstring work, and then replace one of the V-up days with the swings, and alter one of the HLL days to hit the obliques.

Then again I could be completely backwards in my thinking of the proper way to structure the routine. Probably need to see a few more routines, preferably ones that get signed off on, before I feel like I am getting this.

- Chris

@ Jason - I can see your point about the MEBB could be too taxing. I'm going to try it out and see if it works for me and will post on the results of this setup. The KB swings i guess could be seen as high reps in comparison, so thanks for the info on putting it last in the workout. Also i forgot to add in the oblique work, will include it on OLS days since the KB swings really hits the whole core.

@ chobbs - When i do kb swings, i make sure most of the power generated comes from my hamstrings and glutes. plus i currently dont have the equipment or the partners to properly do the hamstring work outlined in the book. KB swings have worked for me in building strength in my hamstrings, so Im going to continue with what works for me, plus i cant look past the benefit of having some kind of metcon in my workouts. also OLS hit them as well, so i should be covered

thanks for the input, keep it coming, this is making the routine better

@ chobbs - When i do kb swings, i make sure most of the power generated comes from my hamstrings and glutes. plus i currently dont have the equipment or the partners to properly do the hamstring work outlined in the book. KB swings have worked for me in building strength in my hamstrings, so Im going to continue with what works for me, plus i cant look past the benefit of having some kind of metcon in my workouts. also OLS hit them as well, so i should be covered

Interesting ... I have never felt worked in my legs/glutes at all - guess it is just where our respective weak points in the movement are. If it hits your hams then it sounds like a good start. Might want to figure out something to hook your legs under for glute-ham curls though as it seems like it might get imbalanced fairly quickly as you progress in strength from the other movements (unless you have some of the beast sized KBs to work with). Best of luck with the routine.

- Chris

Looks fine to me. Try it out.

Might be too much off the bat though so play it by feel. You might have to end up going down to a 3/1/2/1 or something. But otherwise go for it.