Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Core by way of L-Seat/Planche

ryantherobot

Okay I've read a lot of posts and I don't believe I've come across this so sorry if its been discussed...

I started at this stuff a few months ago now and am making good progress. I can hold an L-Seat for 20 seconds and can actually get a slight upwards angle on it, not much but a little. I am also now on Tuck-Planche for a good 10+ seconds each rep.

My question is about my core.... I've seen very little improvements. My arms have gotten much bigger, particularly my triceps, but every post I've read says if you can hold an L-Seat you're going to have good abs. I also feel it in my upper legs fairly well. But m abs don't seem to be changing all that much. Any ideas why this might be?

matthew.percussion

Do you mean you visibly see very little improvement or you have very little functionality improvement?

Being able to visibly see your abs isn't so much about how strong they are but how much body fat you have.

L-sit is primary for hip flexors, and those synergist muscles in you quadriceps, they will of course get your core stronger and that is especially what the tuch planche is doing, you are working your full core with the tuck planche.

Like matthew.percussion said, the visibility of your core depends on your body fat in the long run.

So basically these skills functionally will work you core, but aesthetically you will not see great improvements. I'm a firm believer of the V-up and leg raises, I never really touched a crunch or sit-up and I have a "six pack".

Try holding it for 30 seconds, and then see if you have any improvement. Then try 40, 50, 60, and so on. Be patient.

you can also try adding weight to your ankles...

and my geuss is that the higher the l-sit (closer to a v-sit) the more the abs are engaged...

I read an article by a trainer who said that exercise will get you fit, but you have to eat right to look fit.

Obviously you need both, but if you want people to see those strong abs, look at your diet.

you can also try adding weight to your ankles...

and my geuss is that the higher the l-sit (closer to a v-sit) the more the abs are engaged...

Nah, it's actually easier on the abs to hold it higher because the lever length of the legs horizontally from the torso is shorter. Although if you try to hold V-sit for time it's generally the triceps and posterior delts that will fail on you first. That is, of course, assuming you have good active flexibility...