Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Book and Program design?

campbelldj

I got my book yesterday and am absoltuely delighted by it. It is the best thing I have ever read!

I found it extrememly comprehensive and certainly helped my understanding immensely.

The only thing I had trouble on is program design as people have said. For instance where it says focus on a different push pull core and leg exercise each training day. Is this just a single exercise from say a pull that you change or do you do different push pull core and leg exercises every single workout in a trainig week then rotate. Also, Coach mentions low volume and reps but I was wondering how much rest to have between fundametal bodyweight exercises (superset paired). I'm guessing 2-3 minutes.

I can't wait for the Workout of the Day's to come :D

Thanks for the book Coach I can't thank you enough for this.

The book is awesome! I love it, already overtrained myself by training all the exercises in the book out of enthousiasm ^^;;.

But about the program design thing, am I a bit right when I think it's something like :

Monday :

---------------------------------------------------------

Back Lever (60 sec total) -> Curl (3x3/3x5/5x5)

Planche (60 seconds) -> Dip (3x3/3x5/5x5)

--------------------------------------------------------

Front lever (60 seconds) - > Deck Squats

L-sit (60 seconds) - > Hanging leg lifts

Tuesday :

Back Lever (60 sec total) -> Row variation (3x3/3x5/5x5)

Planche (60 seconds) -> Pushup variation (3x3/3x5/5x5)

Front lever (60 seconds) - > SLS variation (weighted for pure strength work)

L-sit (Or Straddle-L or Manna progression, what's preferred :P) (60 seconds) - > Oblique + Lower back variation

Thursday :

Back Lever (60 sec total) -> Pull-up variation (3x3/3x5/5x5)

Planche (60 seconds) -> Handstand Push-up variation (3x3/3x5/5x5)

Front lever (60 seconds) - > Hamstring/posterior chain variations

L-sit (60 seconds) - > V-up variation

Friday :

Back Lever (60 sec total) -> Multi-plane pulling varation (3x3/3x5/5x5)

Planche (60 seconds) -> Multi-plane pressing variation (3x3/3x5/5x5)

Front lever (60 seconds) - > SLS variations (the plyometric jumping elements)

L-sit (Or Straddle-L or Manna progression, what's preferred :P) (60 seconds) - > Straight body core variation

Does this sound a bit like what's implied in the book ?

The blocks as in the circuits with the alternating exercises as said in the basic strength training page. Press and Pull alternated, static strength with every relative dynamic exercise and legs and core alternated. And the corresponding work on the planes per workout. And the pressing and pulling could be replaced with the combined pressing and pulling movements like the muscle up progressions or the tougher variations, and what I think would be an efficient way to circuit them is :

Planche static hold -> CPP variation -> Front lever static hold -> Planche static hold -> CCP variation -> Front lever static hold

And then pick a progression/variation out of the book that you can handle for the volume and stick with it for 12 weeks before progressing ? (Steady state method) Or continously keep doing harder progressions every several weeks and then when you fail , drop back to the one after you started (PTTP ?).

I'm not really sure about it though and I don't know how the volume of static work combined with dynamic work will hold up, after I read most of the posts of braindx I kind of got the feeling that this should be very doable.

Thanks in advance ^^

I tried this the other day and based on how I felt after and the following day I have changed it to -

Monday

Tuck planche 6x10s

XR PPP's 4x4

Adv tuck lever 6x10s

Wide chins 4x4

HSPU's 4x3

Squats 5x5

Front lever pulls 3x3

HLL 4x4

Handstands 4x30s (not sure on where to place these still)

Tuesday

Tuck planche 6x10s

XR Dips 4x4

Adv tuck lever 6x10s

Bulgarian rows 4x4

HSPU's 4x3

Pistols 4x5

Front lever pulls 3x3

Reverse crank 4x4

Handstannds 4x30s

My pulling strength way outperforms my pressing strength. I cannot chest roll to headstand to save my life lol! I have decided at add in HSPU's each session and alternate dips and PPP's instead. Anyone any idea on the handstand placement? Should I have it at the very beginning like a warm up or would that effect my tuck planche performance too much?

Regards

I love the book, believe in its teachings, but I am dissapointed that we (buyers/readers)

didn't get a clear explanation on the program design part. It kind of makes you dependent

on this site for the information the Coach didn't make super clear on in the book.

Gentlemen,

Relax.

The upcoming WODs will take care of the programming for you. If you don't wish to follow the WODs, you will still have their design as a template to design your own workouts.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

campbelldj,

Unless you have a solid handstand and want to practice them in a more fatigued state, it's probably better to do handstands/press handstands right after your warm-up and before basic strength training.

Alex,

If you are mixing in the static holds with your basic strength training, I don't think you need to have the total hold times sum up to 60 seconds. I think the 60 second rule was intended for working statics by themselves, but I'm not sure. It quickly adds up to a LOT of work. On page 48 of "Science of Sports Training", under the section "The Principles of Economy of Effort", Thomas Kurz writes, "To develop or maintain any ability or skill, the coach should use the least training load necessary to deliver the desired result". In my opinion, it would be good to start with something that is perceived as fairly taxing, but not extremely taxing, and stick with it for a while.

My max handstand hold is about 90 seconds from fresh (against a wall lol)

I do want to improve that and have enjoyed doing them so want to keep them in my routines. My body shape shape and shoulder strength has improved since I started practicing them.

Okay, while I admit the book wasn't THAT clear on programming, there has been at least one or two examples on this forum of piecing together something. Also, there's tons of other resources from Coach Sommer or Ido or others.

Half the people are disappointed here are also the people that suffer from paralysis of analysis. Instead of waiting to find the perfect routine (which is none), you need to DO and experiment with YOUR body. Some of the programming options that Coach Sommer might put up in the future might not work optimally for you or they might. But how are you going to know that unless you know your body?

The MOST important factor in gaining strength especially with bodyweight is consistency. You absolutely WILL get strong if you're moving up progressions and you are consistently doing 3+ workouts each week. Put in the time; don't try to think through it too much.