Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ring Swings Redux - Fix Me!

thenail01

I think I've finally figured out where some key problems are in my swings, which is the first part in improving. I posted a video with annotations. So the question is how do I fix these problems? Any pointers? I've read Coach's swings article many times and know I need to go back to smaller swings (is that possible??) until they are not jerk-y. Is there anything else I can do and are there other problems I'm missing... and is my personal analysis right? Thanks

http://youtu.be/L3UH_filUkA

the slow-mo is nice ;)

I would like to split my thoughts on two fields:

1.) core strength for the right positions

2.) technique

1.) the (hight) of your first 2 swings are your limitation in core stabilisation.

gymnastics is changing from one position to another, combined with some power

>> gymnasts often dont strengthen the required positions enough!

especially the arched position! we need it SO often, but barely practice it enough!

so do a lot of exercises in that position: first static (asissted)!!! until its rock solid! - then dynamic - then special(handstand or other "extremes")

2.) swinging, especially on rings, needs good timing (for positions).

but kicking/change positions at the right moment is tricky!

before you fix the "1.)" you should not swing higher than your first 2swings(max!) even less!

otherwise it will result in what you described as "jerky" AND you will not see progression! (and risk injury!)

so do more little swings where you can stabilise your core with proper technique.

& be aware of stretching enough! its all about physical preparation!

the more you do master the basics, the more rapid you will see progression later ;)

skipping some basic will always hunt you..

David  Hurwitz

I have limited experience, but do have some guidance from a coach at my gym. Your swings are not yet high enough to begin pulling the rings apart in the front swing and pushing them apart in the back. Doing this prematurely will limit the hight of your swing. You can push them forward in the front and pull them back in the back swing at this point, but do not separate them. My coach recently told me to start separating the rings a little bit in the front swing only once I started turning over and hitting a nice high candle stick.

andiswf - any (core) exercises in particular? Handstands I'm thinking you mean like almost bridging but with feet on wall, facing away from wall, and working that same kind of rings pressing motion?

andiswf - any (core) exercises in particular? Handstands I'm thinking you mean like almost bridging but with feet on wall, facing away from wall, and working that same kind of rings pressing motion?

Um, no. pls dont start with that ;)

I just wanted to give full information about progression for gymnastics positions.

at first start with easy exercises and/or parts of the skill.

hollow and dish positions are AS important as training the "flat" position!

any exercise conditioning these positions will help you!

every coach uses "his" exercises..but there are lots of good ways!

so pls start static. if mastered go on to dynamic. if mastered go on to so called "special". the special will be mostly similar to the way will have it in a gymnastics skill (or part of it). like in/to/from handstand position (special because upside down, therefore "unnatural"!)

maybe hanging on a bar and holding the positions each for 3 secs and then change slowly to the other will help you to feel it better?!

combined with some stressing static holds of the position, and then even other (dynamic) exercises if you feel you can go on to them?!

however, of course you can go on with little swings on the rings! but be patient not to swing to high (you call it jerky ;) )

>>>>> physical preparation <<<<<

As David said, basically you are turning the rings out early, especially in the back.

Focus on more pull in the front swing and more push in the back. When you can get no more, then you start turning them out.

Core exercises?

Body lever and locust. Locust will only be doable if you are pretty flexible. Quite honestly a lot of beginning optional gymnasts cannot do either. that's alright.

it's more about technique.