Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

43 y.o. asks "Any Ab experts here ?"

kevp951

Hello, last night i worked the bucket circle device EXTENSIVELY, keeping the body VERY extended. Today I can feel that i did a really great job as about 2-3 inches below my belly button i am just slightly sore in the middle section abdominals, not towards the outside going out to the hips. If i push on the center area, it feels like a very slight bruising/soreness, but not too bad. Probably will be gone completely within 2 days the way it feels. Anyone know the name of this muscle area? And is this an area that will increase my gymnastics ability exponentially? I read that the bucket device will strengthen your core like nothing else and i'm wondering if this is part of what they are talking about? (i'm referring to Crossfit issue 62 that i purchased before building my bucket device).

okay, looks like it is the rectus abdominus, which it says compresses your abdomen. Looks like i'm not as bullet proof as i thought in the midsection. It's great news to know there is room for improvement. Great website, thanks!!!!

George Launchbury

In case anyone's vaguely interested... :)

The transverse abdominals (Transversus Abdominis, or TVA) are "nature's weight belt".

It is called "transverse" because the fibres run pretty much horizontally around the midsection. They are very important in stabilising the midsection, and are trained more significantly by focussing on pulling your gut in (as griffdrc mentioned) during core work. A strong TVA reduces load on the intervertebral discs, and I have read that the more stability there is around the lower spine, the more recruitment of the extremities is "allowed" by the CNS. The body limits performance in some situations to protect itself.

This would explain why some power lifters often wear weight belts to protect their lower backs and improve performance, albeit alongside preventing the TVA from getting strong enough to do the job itself. But I digress...

@kevp951 - Note that the insertion* of the TVA runs pretty much down the centre of the whole Rectus Abdominis (front abdominals, or 'abs'), so it could be some soreness within the extremities of the TVA or the connective tissue ...however it's more likely that you have indeed got a spot of soreness in your 'abs' from the volume of work you've been doing. Also, when your hips are facing the floor you're likely to be getting some eccentric contraction (lengthening under tension), unless you're as solid as a board, which often results in more soreness.

* All skeletal muscles have an "origin" (attachment where the muscle starts) and an "insertion" (attachment where the muscle ends). As a rule of thumb, the fixed part is generally where the origin is located, and the part that moves generally has the insertion. The origin (think of it like an anchor point) is usually nearer the centre of the body, and the insertion further from the centre.

While knowing these terms might seem pretty redundant, I think a basic understanding of anatomy and physiology helps immensely in knowing what your body is doing when you're planning and performing your workouts. It's been said a number of times here on the forum - educating one's self is vital for continued success, especially if you are responsible for your own training ...and a great place to start is by reading an owners manual !!!

Cheers,

George.

• 5 weeks later...

TVA is also activated during "bracing," so you don't have to suck in your stomach to train it. Sucking in the stomach is dangerous anyways.