Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Frozen Shoulder Help

Jacob Marks

Hello Forum

I was hoping that anyone with experience or knowledge on the subject of frozen shoulder would shed some light on exercises or stretch that you know of that would help me on the road to my recovery ! Apperently, I started to develop this after I broke my collarbone(15 years old) and due to the lack of function in this area and build up of scar tissue plus total lack of rehab planning from my surgeon and my stubborness as a male, I thought it was a hopeless situation and neglected it for far too long. Now that I see there is a way to fix what I have I hoping to tackle this beast with therapy and and guidelines or advice from this forum!

Thanks for you help and advice

Jacob

Joshua Naterman

Kit Laughlin has excellent material on this.

There's a variety of things that can be done, but usually scar tissue is less of an issue than dysfunctional motor patterns that have built up over time, and that's something that can definitely happen after a severe shoulder injury. Happened to me after nerve damage and subsequent exclusive over-use of the right shoulder (which is now my primary problem shoulder :P ).

For me, I have noticed that concentrating on my front left hip (ASIS and AIIS and lesser trochanter area) while doing upper body work immediately allows me to find my right upper back muscles and make the right shoulder work like the left shoulder. This may or may not help. A prone hollow can help you figure out this activation/concentration pattern. You should only feel stuff happening on the front of your body, not in the back. I do not know if this will help you, but it helps me immensely. Every frozen shoulder is different. I have also found that PE1 work, specifically the 60s hangs (used in conjunction with this same activation) is rapidly improving the right shoulder. Without the activation it felt worse, so I feel like this is an important distinction to make for you.

There are a lot of things that can work, but Kit's book is very good (I've been reading Daniel Burnham's copy) and has a lot of things you can do at home. There is no substitute for hands-on therapy, but this is probably the best book for your condition.

Hey Jacob (it's Jacob, right?). I had to deal with the case of my left shoulder going frozen in late August/September 2010 I think. One day, it just went frozen and I had a helluva time raising it overhead.

I managed to deal with it by doing lots of the Rings band series and a lot of forced hangs with my feet on the floor. I literally had to lift my left arm up with my right arm to the rings or whatever I was hanging on to hang. A real pain in the butt while trying to train new upcoming L4's.

Eventually it went away in 2-3 weeks I think. It wasn't too long as I was definitely back to training from the ground up by October if not sooner, I think.