Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Flexibility Work Questions

Yaad Mohammad

Yaad Mohammad

Okay, so I started doing front-splits again and straddle-splits and I also decided to do back flexibility and shoulder flexibility. So after training for a bit I came across some questions that I'd like to have answered. I was hoping you guys could help me with that.

1. How often can you do flexibility work? My hamstring for example get very tight and soar the next day when I stretched them. Can I just work on it the very next day? Of course with some decent warming-up. But can I keep on stretching each day? Or do I need rest days, if so, how long?

2. What is the best way to do Pike stretches? At the moment I just try to touch my toes with a flat back, is that enough for pike stretches?

3. I am really bad at the bridge, it feels really uncomfortable to do a bridge. Whenever I go in to it, I need a lot of wrist flexibility, which I have a lot of, but it's unnatural for me to hold it. My shoulders or my back aren't flexible enough to maintain the position safely. What other back stretches can I do to prepare myself for a safe bridge stretch?

That's all I have got for now, hopefully you guys can answer this! Thanks a lot!

Parth Rajguru

Mobility work can and should be done daily. You can focus on different areas or different movements for those days though. Or you can work the same movements, depending on recovery, need, etc. There is a lot of variety with mobility work: isometric, ballistic, dynamic, passive, active, PNF, partner assisted, etc. and you may even want to 'periodize' your mobility work, much like you should be doing with your strength work, considering that mobility is a function of strength.

Jefferson Curls are great for the standing pike in the beginning.

With the bridge, you can put your feet on a (slightly) elevated surface compared to your hands and press into bridge. For example, you can use the bars of stall bars, a bench, step, etc. This requires less mobility in the thoracic spine, shoulders, and wrists.

Okay, so I started doing front-splits again and straddle-splits and I also decided to do back flexibility and shoulder flexibility. So after training for a bit I came across some questions that I'd like to have answered. I was hoping you guys could help me with that.

1. How often can you do flexibility work? My hamstring for example get very tight and soar the next day when I stretched them. Can I just work on it the very next day? Of course with some decent warming-up. But can I keep on stretching each day? Or do I need rest days, if so, how long?

2. What is the best way to do Pike stretches? At the moment I just try to touch my toes with a flat back, is that enough for pike stretches?

3. I am really bad at the bridge, it feels really uncomfortable to do a bridge. Whenever I go in to it, I need a lot of wrist flexibility, which I have a lot of, but it's unnatural for me to hold it. My shoulders or my back aren't flexible enough to maintain the position safely. What other back stretches can I do to prepare myself for a safe bridge stretch?

That's all I have got for now, hopefully you guys can answer this! Thanks a lot!

2. I stand on a chair, bend from the hips and grab the chair and pull down. You can bend your back if you wish though that'll stretch your lower back less emphasis on the hamstring. I alternate between straight backs and bent backs.

I also tried recently is sit on the floor, put your feet on an elevated surface like a chair, legs straight, grab your toes and pull forward. Feels wow different compared to standing up and grabbing yer ankles. Try it!

3. Stretch your quads and shoulders. They help your bridge. My bridge still sucks. Shoulders are my weakest component in terms of flexibility.

Yaad Mohammad

Mobility work can and should be done daily. You can focus on different areas or different movements for those days though. Or you can work the same movements, depending on recovery, need, etc. There is a lot of variety with mobility work: isometric, ballistic, dynamic, passive, active, PNF, partner assisted, etc. and you may even want to 'periodize' your mobility work, much like you should be doing with your strength work, considering that mobility is a function of strength.

Jefferson Curls are great for the standing pike in the beginning.

With the bridge, you can put your feet on a (slightly) elevated surface compared to your hands and press into bridge. For example, you can use the bars of stall bars, a bench, step, etc. This requires less mobility in the thoracic spine, shoulders, and wrists.

Interesting! I was wondering what the bar for Jefferson Curls do. Also, are you supposed to do it with a hollow back or a flat back? I see a lot of people doing it with a hollow back, and my goal is to be able to have a really good flat back pike flexibility. For the v-sit or manna for example.

Also, the bridge idea helps a lot! Thanks!

2. I stand on a chair, bend from the hips and grab the chair and pull down. You can bend your back if you wish though that'll stretch your lower back less emphasis on the hamstring. I alternate between straight backs and bent backs.

I also tried recently is sit on the floor, put your feet on an elevated surface like a chair, legs straight, grab your toes and pull forward. Feels wow different compared to standing up and grabbing yer ankles. Try it!

3. Stretch your quads and shoulders. They help your bridge. My bridge still sucks. Shoulders are my weakest component in terms of flexibility.

Thanks! I'll try those two. Also, I have a lot of flexibility in my quads. I was born with this and I can do the strangest things because of that, but my shoulders however are very very very stiff. Is there a good way to train shoulder flexibility?

Parth Rajguru

Interesting! I was wondering what the bar for Jefferson Curls do. Also, are you supposed to do it with a hollow back or a flat back? I see a lot of people doing it with a hollow back, and my goal is to be able to have a really good flat back pike flexibility. For the v-sit or manna for example.

The jefferson curl involves full spinal flexion throughout the whole spine. The hollow body position isn't the same, for example the lumbar spine is not completely flexed in a hollow body position. Jefferson curls aren't done with a flat back. Vsits and manna require active flexibility of the hip flexors as well as a good pike, among other things.

Yaad Mohammad

The jefferson curl involves full spinal flexion throughout the whole spine. The hollow body position isn't the same, for example the lumbar spine is not completely flexed in a hollow body position. Jefferson curls aren't done with a flat back. Vsits and manna require active flexibility of the hip flexors as well as a good pike, among other things.

But will the Jefferson Curl help me with flat pike positions?

Also, I noticed that I feel something in my lower back after I do a lot of pike stretches. It's not pain, but it feels weird. I don't know if it's good or bad...

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

1. I try to work flexibility for 30 minutes at the end of every workout. Generally I have 3-4 'problem' areas that I put particular focus into (ideally spending a total of 2-3+ minutes in each position), and perform maintenance on several other areas (spending 30-60 seconds in those positions).

On days when I do heavy strength work, I lighten up on the shoulder stretching because those muscles have already been stressed a lot. If you're experiencing soreness the following day, it may be a sign that you're stretching too aggressively, or that you're new to stretching and your muscles aren't used to it. In general if you're sore it's still good to do some light dynamic stretches in that area, but you should avoid heavy static stretching.

2. As noted previously, Coach Sommer's weighted stretch is quite good for this, as is stretching one leg at a time. The stretch you describe is sufficient to build up to a moderate level of flexibility, but if you wish to advance further than touching your palms to the floor, you'll need to switch to a more intense stretch.

3. The 'seal' stretch is pretty good for your back (lay on your stomach, use your arms to push your torso into an arch, leaving your legs flat on the floor). Note that the bridge is both a strength and a flexibility move; it can take some time to build up the strength required to be comfortable in a bridge. I'd recommend that even if you're doing another stretch you still try to enter a bridge a few times even if you just come right back down.

• Upvote 1

Yaad Mohammad

Thanks! I am still stuck with two questions though .Will the Jefferson Curl help me with flat pike positions?

Also, I noticed that I feel something in my lower back after I do a lot of pike stretches. It's not pain, but it feels weird. I don't know if it's good or bad...