Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Radiating pain in right hip when doing splits

Falcon

Hi.

I have this issue with working front splits (and side too). If I have my right leg forward its all good, I can lower down to the ground, but with my left leg forward and my right leg backward I can't get anywhere. I started to work side splits too - here I had an adductor injury 3 months ago, where I tensed too much and my adductor kinda.. snapped. I though it was healed but it seems it isn't. The pain feels like this:

I lower down into side split, tense up and immidiately feel quick sharp pain in my adductor, as I relax and try to go up from the split, my hip flexors and outer hips start to hurt, it's a very strange sensation, like I could feel the socket being crushed or something, very strange.

This also happens at my front split with right leg forward, but only when raising up from the split, again the crushing pain in the hip area.

About letting it heal - I've let it heal for 3 months and it got me nowhere, so that is most likely not the case.

If anyone has an idea what it could be I would be grateful for any tips.

As always, we can't really tell you exactly what's going on.

However, something is going on and you need to accept it and work the post injury side more carefully. These kind of injuries can have side effects that take a long time to completely clear up.

Keep stretching, accept that the one side won't go as far, and be easy on it, but do work with it consistently. It may be that some light band lateral movement will help warm the muscle and make it more willing to stretch.

Joshua Naterman

3 months is nowhere near healed.

It takes 6 weeks for the damaged fibers to be completely replaced. It takes approximately 6 months for this new tissue to become fully mature muscle.

So, at minimum, you're looking at 3-4 more months before your tissue is the same as pre-injury, and that's not including any fascial scarring that may have occurred. It is usually a minimum of 12 months and sometimes 2-3 years before the tissue is virtually identical to pre-injury. Take your stretching slowly, you can and will re-injure yourself if you don't keep these timelines in mind.

High rep work for the muscles will help, as will INTELLIGENT (!!!) stretching :)

Understood.

So, can I stretch only the front split with right leg forward? Or it is not wise because of imbalances that can occur? (One hamstring more flexible than the other or so...)

You can, and most likely should, stretch both sides, but you have to go easy on the injured side. It's the good ole, don't push into pain rule.