Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best ways to increase wrists flexibility

Brian Li

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I've searched and can't seem to find anything besides wrists conditioning exercises like wrists push-ups which I think won't help increase my ROM in wrist extension.

My hands can't even extend perpendicular to my wrists and it hurts to do wall handstands with fingers forward and planche with fingers forward and sideways/PB. So what can I do best to increase my wrists flexibility? Thanks!

Aaron Griffin

Planche leans are pretty much all you need. You can do them from the knees and just lean over your hands for like 3x30s every day

Thanks for the suggestion! What should the intensity on the wrists be when doing the leans? Should they be stressed and under discomfort minimally or closer to maximum? I presume these should be done at the end of the workout right?

Are there also other exercises/drills that can help accelerate wrist flexibility alongside planche leans?

Thanks for the link to those stretches, Blairbob! Are those supposed to be active or passive stretches?

Interesting you say to stretch one wrist at a time, I noticed that I lost some ROM in my left wrist which I believe was due to a wrist injury 2 weeks ago. Would this be the best way to address that? Can I also focus on one wrist at a time in planche leans by having the other wrist point backwards?

Moreover, would stretching the wrists with fingers pointing forward also transfer flexibility for fingers pointing sideways or do I have to stretch those in that position as well? Would I need to also stretch the wrists with fingers pointing back even though I have adequate ROM in wrist flexion (I don't believe it's necessary at all, but I'm clueless to if some issues or imbalances could arise)?

Can I also start training wall handstands with fingers backwards or sideways for the time being or should I wait till I can do it with fingers forward? Thanks for the help!