Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beginner leg work question

GregHB

Hey Everybody. This is my first post here. I've tried finding a similar question before posting so as to avoid redundancies in the forum, but to no avail. So please forgive me if this question has already been posted on this site.

I'm brand new to training with rings, and gymnastics in general...doing so for the sole purpose of strength, muscular conditioning, and hopefully some aesthetic improvement as well. It seems as if ring training uses mostly upper body strength. I am wondering if anyone has experienced problems with the underdevelopment of lower body strength because of this. I try to work with bodyweight exercises exclusively and am somewhat concerned about creating an imbalance between my upper body development and my lower body development.

I guess if anyone would also like to mention where they throw legs into their routine, that would be helpful as well...(every workout, alternating with upperbody workouts, etc...)

Thanks for reading.

I can't answer the complete question, but here is one essay from Coach Sommer talking about Lower Body work that is used by Gymnasts, be sure to check out the other posts within the Topic as sometimes they have more useful information!

Senders - A Dynamic Leg Strength Series

I'm sure there were some more posts around about the importance of Lower Body work, but for the life of me I cannot think where they were posted! Anyway, StevenL gave some good examples of Lower Body exercises, just start to impliment progressions into your workouts. If you can't do Single Leg Squats (Pistols) then work your way towards doing them, same as a full range GHR/Bodyweight Hamstring Curl. If you don't know how to start doing them, just ask and I'm sure someone can help, there are also some posts on progressions on here I think, aswell as Beast Skills.

Good luck with everything, hope this helped!

Peace,

Mike

This is covered in Coach Sommer's book before he moves on to Advanced Ring Training and Dynamic Strength whereas Liquid Steel™ and the Handstand Chronicles coincide with the 1st book, methinks.

Jim's guide starts out pretty basic for pistol progression and I've posted mine a zillion times. Senders would probably be in the dynamic strength category but it states the progression method and it starts up pretty simple.

Rings is mostly about upper body and ab/back strength. Obviously, you still gotta squeeze the legs for all movements though.