Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder Injury Help

scottyent

Hey guys, this is unfortunately my first post in these forums...I say unfortunately because it is injury related. My body is somewhat injury prone, and I have had very frequent issues with groin strains and shoulder problems over the years. So, I have been in and out of weight rooms, and ultimately and end up feeling very frustrated. Even with a balanced plan (I started Starting Strength), my hip started giving me a lot of problems, which cut squatting out. I then decided to focus on my back, and let it catch up to my chest...and then my right shoulder blade on the middle of my back starting really aching frequently, so I eventually stopped.

I focus on form in virtually everything that I do, and at the very least I don't have BAD form. I watch tons of videos, and try everything I can to make sure I am doing things right.

Anyway, the reason that I am posting is because I have an issue with my right shoulder. It is an issue I have never had before, and it came from pull ups. I started a push up and pull up plan as I was deciding to start getting back into shape again. Being fed up with getting injured in the gym, I figured bodyweight was the way to go. Eventually, that brought me to this website, and now I am trying to follow the rules people have outlined here.

The shoulder thing I am fairly certain came from too much too soon with pull ups. I upped the volume much too quickly, and during a few neutral grip pull ups, I felt a twinge in my trapezius muscle, around the middle and towards the back. I didn't think much of it, did one last pull up, but called it a day. Since then, my front deltoid, the area where the trap connects in my neck, and the back under the arm pit bother me during everyday things. I took four days off, then started this plan based on what I read here:

60s Hollow Hold

60s Arch

60s Straight arm front plank

60s backwards plank

60s PB support

60s dead hang

and 60s wall handstand

Then, I would do inverted rows (I believe my chest and back are not even, and I believe the fact that my back is weaker than my chest has long been a source of shoulder pain for me).

Anyway, that went really well for 2 cycles of every other day. Then, I decided to try some pull ups because the dead hang felt absolutely fine. I did 1...felt good, did a 2nd....and felt the twinge in my trap again. Have taken 4 days off again, and still aches a bit and bothers me.

What I am trying to ask is, has anyone had the same problem, and have any idea what I can work on? I have been doing wall slides, I do shoulder dislocations with a broom stick, and I haven't been over doing it by any means. Lots of rest, and then mostly these basic static holds so that my core and overall fitness can improve before I start better progressions.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance guys!