Warm-up sets

Gaben18

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino
I use 1-2 sets of easier progressions.

X2

I think the same =)

• 4 weeks later...
acrobatlegend

Nothing beats holding a handstand for 2-3 sets as your warm up, no matter what you do.

For me, the most important thing is the hands/wrists to be warmed up. They are used for so much and take a lot of abuse from tumbling to body weight training.

After the handstands, move on to some light sets of whatever it is your training that day.

Joshua Slocum

For warming up in general:

- Do some cardio to raise your body temperature.

- Do some dynamic stretching movements to loosen up your muscles (e.g. arm-circles, side-to-side lunges, etc). Don't do any deep static stretching as that can hurt performance, and possibly increase your risk of injury. Save that for post-workout.

- For body-weight strength, try some easier variations to get your mind and body into the flow of things. For example, if you're working straddle planches, start by doing a few in a tuck. Movements like a press handstand also requires some skill or finesse: in such a case it's a good idea to incorporate some drills to help reinforce proper form.

Essentially, your warm-up should be a microcosm of the drills and progressions you've worked through in the past.

In the particular case of working press-handstands, I'd begin by doing a few handstands (to work the balance), some straddle/pike sits on floor (to work the body compression), and then maybe some press leans as well (to work your shoulders and the process of shifting weight onto your hands). Then try to put everything together.