Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder pain

Mehmet Yuce

Hello everyone,

After searching the forum a bit and being overwhelmed by the number of hits, I decided that maybe it’s just better to ask my question instead of trying to decipher the answer from similar questions. About a month or two ago I got a pair of rings from ringtraining.com before coming across this site. Then, of course, I found about coach's book and got excited because finally somebody had come up with it. I could only wish I were younger... I regularly exercise and always have. I like bicycling and raced as a category 4 for a while, but I don't ride more than 4-5 hours week anymore. I also do resistance training 2-3 days a week. I think it kept me in relatively good shape. But now instead of weight lifting, I want to play with the rings and do BW exercises. As you can imagine, I can't wait for the book just like everyone else. Since I got the rings, I have been using them with the hope that when I get coach's book, I will get a head start. At the moment I’m just doing the basic stuff like pull-ups, push-ups, L-sits in the support position and so on. Now, after all this background babbling, I’d like to get some feedback from those of you who are in this for a while. I get this shoulder pain similar to what I used to get when I did military presses with too much weight. It usually happens after the dips, although I know it’s not the only exercise that causes it. Of course it goes away when I stop doing it for a couple of days. I’m assuming the book will have warm-up routines and the like, but I wanted to get as many opinions as I could. So I was hoping that if you had similar complaints in the past and you did something that helped it, you would share that information. Maybe there are established routines and movements that gymnasts do before they start working out, like the “wall extensions†that coach recently shared with us. I would appreciate your insights; the more the better.

Thanks for listening,

Mehmet

Coach's 3rd book will be on prevention and active flexibility.

Hmm, what other exercises cause pain in your shoulder? Whereabouts? Foam roll, stick dislocate/stretches, cat stretch and hang from a bar.

Blairbob,

I think it's usually the exercises in the pushing mode, like the elevated feet-push-ups I do on the rings. And the pain is usually on the side of the deltoid towards the top. It is usually accompanied by a sound if I'm lowering my arm from what looks like a saluting position of a soldier.

And thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into those. Does one do those before or after a workout? It would make more sense to me if the warm-up comes before the workout, right?

Mehmet

David Picó García

I had a similar pain in the past that recently came back after testing strength at bench press (when warming up with low weight :x ). It only hurted me at stardar pushup position or bench press, but not with other similar exercises (pseudo planche push ups or dips), so simply avoid the exercise that is hurting you. I've been six months playing with rings doing muscle ups, bulgarian dips and weighted, skin the cats, basic strength routines, shoulerstands, back and front lever, assisted cross pulls and i had no problem with the shoulder... one day i did some bench press and the same pain came back again. My recomendations are to avoid the exercises that causes pain and warm up very well, i use to do (and i didnt the bench press day) presses with elastic bands, with straight arms like you can see in this web, and rotator cuff exercises with bands:

http://www.american-gymnast.com/tt/inde ... icOrder=15 (free registration needed to see it)

And after that i do some of the exercises you can see at firs in that video (although after seen it i realize i do them more slowly and less agresively): http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=y0LzU7NUqIo

If still fill pain just rest and then more rest.

All of that stuff can be done in the warmup and in the cooldown prior to some static stretching. I have played with doing wallslides in the warmup, though apparently it is preferred they are at the end of a workout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxbvURlJT1o A lot of stuff in here.

I'm fond of the cuban press. Basically working external rotation. While I have seen it with a bar, I did not appreciate it at all as it really aggravated my shoulders at the time. I have also seen it bent over from a similar position as a bent-over row. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxbvURlJT1o

I'm not exactly sure if that pain would be categorized as external shoulder rotation.

As for bench press, it did aggravate my shoulder last time, and shortly thereafter I took it out of my programming. I had worked overhead shoulder press before or something prior, so maybe that was it. It didn't hurt as much when I tried it last fall, but it's not something in the long run of any worth to me, especially given the chance for pain and lack of a spotter. I do pseudo planche pushups instead and have been looking into weighted pushups as well.

In the overhead pressing, I think there can be some discomfort unless I warm my shoulders really well. They are pretty screwed and sometimes in OHP can feel impinged.