Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HSPU "Elbows In" = Shoulder Pain

u3er

Hi everyone, I'm hoping that you might be able to help me on this one...

I recently started trying to work all my pushing strength using an "elbows in" technique in order to build a better foundation for eventual freestanding HSPUs. The problem is that my left shoulder has had a mysterious lingering injury for years now (which I'm trying to work on with external rotation rehab movements - hopefully this will help?) and I find it very difficult to keep this shoulder in the "elbows in" position while doing overhead movements.

Horizontal pushing is okay (though even there my one shoulder likes to wing out a bit unless I consciously think to keep it tucked towards my body) but overhead pressing becomes especially difficult. If I scale the movement waaay back - think 10lb dumbbell military press with elbows in HSPU technique - I can force my way through the full ROM but get a really uncomfortable "stuck" feeling when my upper arms pass the horizontal plane. My shoulder will pop and click and feel very uncomfortable such that the elbow wants to swing out. I can do HSPUs against the wall with elbows out without problems.

Any idea what might be causing this? Is it a rotation problem, an overhead flexibility problem, or a technique problem?

I hope I explained my situation clearly enough and that someone may have had (and fixed) a similar problem before. I'm looking forward to hearing your advice!

How are your pushups with elbows in?

I'd start from there and scale upwards on the wall to the regular HeSPU.

Thanks for your reply Blairbob. Pushups and dips are totally fine (no shoulder pain), but as I mentioned my left shoulder does tend to swing out even with these movements unless I consciously think to keep them in. I'm not sure I understand your suggestion though... Do you mean that I should basically start with elevated pushups and gradually move my feet up until I become vertical?

Joshua Naterman

It is probably a scapular movement and positioning issue. This is what has been causing shoulder issues in a number of people here. Search my recent posts to find the description I wrote on how to learn to use your scapulae correctly.

I am, for the first time since 2003, starting to use my right scap correctly and it makes handstands feel like a completely new position.

Aaron Griffin

This happened to me, as well. It's a mechanical issue, as far as I know.

I started doing high volume pike pushups with the arms tucked tightly. I actually started doing them from the knees to ensure I was maintaining good form throughout. I stuck with something like 2x30 at the end of every workout. I got a lot better at it

Learn to push with your shoulders in their sockets.

Side note. Unilateral shoulder pain for a long time. Look at your neck.