Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rotator Cuff on the mend; exercises to avoid/easing back in

zombat

So my left shoulder has been painful for about 9 months after an injury. Looking into it it would seem to have been an impinged supraspinatus, thanks to not addressing a kyphotic posture brought on by working at a desk all day. The first 2-3 months i sort of exacerbated it by doing exercises I probably should not have. So I started to do some basic rotator cuff therapy, and I laid off the things that most websites said not to do - bench press, dips, planche work and back lever (tuck as well)- as well as anything that would cause my shoulder to hurt, with the exception of wall handstands. I also did slizzardman's floor shoulder stretches and focused on correcting the Kyphotic shoulders.

Talked to my doctor recently, who did a cursory examination - passive ROMs with the arms, and nothing hurt. It only seems to come up when I do occasional active motions and after sleeping on it wrong. I feel like I've lost a lot of strength, and am pretty unhappy about this and I figure it may be time to start -slowly- getting back into FSP work. I feel like I've lost a lot of strength, and am pretty unhappy about this.

Prior to the injury I was doing:

Tuck Front Levers

Tuck Back Levers

L-Sit low

Adv. Frogstands

How should I ease back into training? Which exercises should I avoid? Any advice here would be appreciated.

My tentative plan is to start with Tuck Front Levers, focusing on keeping the shoulders pulled back, (Continuing to correct the Kyphotic shoulders) and then doing simple frogstands. Assuming the shoulder doesn't disagree I'd move then to tuck back levers after about 8-10 weeks, and then L-sits afterwards.

Currently I'm 'maintaining' with hollow holds, planks, supermans, wall handstands, pull-ups/chin-ups, seated cable rows, squats/deadlifts and some other exercises.

Again, all thoughts/advice here would be appreciated!!