This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

NaterMania

Started by Joshua Naterman, September 8, 2009 · 920 Replies · 532 Views

Joshua Naterman

Well, strength is steadily increasing. Two weeks ago 150 lb single leg deadlifts were hard, now they are warm up and 200 lb single leg deadlifts are the work reps.

Single leg arch ups and back extensions with 90 lbs, done explosively, are easy for 3 reps.

single leg squats have increased from 35 to 45 lbs in the past two weeks for two reps, starting from the very bottom.

I am rapidly building strength in weighted dips and planche push ups as well. Quite extraordinary, really.

Quick Start Test Smith
slizzardman said:
Well, strength is steadily increasing. Two weeks ago 150 lb single leg deadlifts were hard, now they are warm up and 200 lb single leg deadlifts are the work reps.

Single leg arch ups and back extensions with 90 lbs, done explosively, are easy for 3 reps.

single leg squats have increased from 35 to 45 lbs in the past two weeks for two reps, starting from the very bottom.

I am rapidly building strength in weighted dips and planche push ups as well. Quite extraordinary, really.

:shock:

...

:shock:

Joshua Naterman

Apparently I can now do full lay NLC at 202 lbs bodyweight. Single leg deadlifts and single leg arch ups have led to much of that ability, I believe.

45 lb SLS are getting easier than they were yesterday, despite not having eaten.

I am now able to perform a galimore from full lay FL to flat tuck planche, pressing properly with a horizontal body from the transition of the muscle up and not turning it into a lift into planche at the top of a dip.

I can now perform FL pulls with a 2s pause in full lay front lever with shoulders retracted.

Progress does not appear to be slowing down.

+100 lb chin ups are now easy. 120 lbs was my all time max, and I seem to be on track to break all strength records by September at the latest.

marcusuni

Hi Slizz, don;t know if you remember me but we spoke briefly on youtube a while ago. I've finally joined up to the forum ha. I take it you have been crazy busy as we haven't had a new video from you in a while. If you get a chance it would be awesome to see your OAC. I have enjoyed looking through your log and just thought I should say hi.

Joshua Naterman

Hey buddy! How are you?

Yes, things have been and continue to be crazy.

Speaking of which, my TDR 64 came in. It is an incredible E-stim machine, I am stupendously impressed! You can adjust EVERYTHING!!! DC or AC, Russian stim (which feels pretty crazy) or regular e-stim( this is a VERY strong unit with four independent channels, so you can be using eight pads at the same time which allows you to hit quite a number of muscle groups at the same time. Timer is adjustable from 1-120 seconds on both contraction time AND rest time, and the surge ramp is adjustable from 1-10 seconds. Frequency is adjustable from 1-150hz or something like that for tens mode and regular stim mode.

I am, quite honestly, blown away by this unit. It was nearly 400 bucks but worth every penny. This thing is better than what the PTs and Chiropractors use! I barely use it at half power and it's all I can take. That's what you want in a stimulator, especially when you're using it for strength training.

I have been getting stronger, slightly lighter, and slightly leaner on a daily basis. Everything feels good, shoulder is doing better.

This is day 2 of a lean mass gain cycle that will last for 3 months. I intend to find out how much lean mass it is possible to gain in the middle of a stressful period of my life with nothing but food and protein powder.

I am hovering right at 202 lbs right now. I do not know what my bodyfat is but this is the leanest I have been in about five years, maybe seven years.

SNOWIS

Slizzardman, you are making me more and more curious. The stuff you are doing and the knowledge you are sharing is incredible! When are you going to open your site?

P.S. Post a picture :wink:

Razz

Before and after pics required my good man! :P Sounds exciting with the stimulator stuff..really exciting!!

marcusuni

Yeh, I'm all good thanks.

So you've lost about 20lbs since we last spoke. Don't get to stressed ha, I'm in my final year of Uni and still trying to gain mass and I think enough sleep is absolutely essential.

Joshua Naterman
Razz said:
Before and after pics required my good man! :P Sounds exciting with the stimulator stuff..really exciting!!

Oh yea, and I'm not using it for anything but my right external rotator rehab, right forearm, and left calf during my mass gain!

I will have weekly pics. I probably won't put anything up for at least a month, just because I want there to be a slideshow, but I look way more defined than I did a week ago. It's pretty crazy, actually. I was like... What!?!

Jonas Jonzen

Looking forward to see what the training program you're going to launch is about! :)

Btw- is your weightloss because of incorporating IF? I remember you were considering trying it out some months ago.

Quick Start Test Smith

Man, Poliquin and the rest of the world class strength & conditioning coaches better make some room for you, Sliz. I can't wait to see the pics and your website.

I understand if this is delving too much into your private training methods, but what exactly is the process of applying this technology during training?

marcusuni

will you be updating your mass gain phase on here? Diet, training etc?

Joshua Naterman
Patrick Smith said:
Man, Poliquin and the rest of the world class strength & conditioning coaches better make some room for you, Sliz. I can't wait to see the pics and your website.

I understand if this is delving too much into your private training methods, but what exactly is the process of applying this technology during training?

Honestly, there wouldn't be any room for me without them. I am standing on their shoulders, as they are standing on the shoulders of those who came before them. In time, someone will stand on my shoulders, and so it goes!

If I am ever considered to be in that class I will be honored.

Joshua Naterman
marcusuni said:
will you be updating your mass gain phase on here? Diet, training etc?

Diet yes, results yes, training no.

Over the past two weeks I have gone from not quite being able to do a correct rep of 1.5" hand elevated freestanding HeSPU to being able to do 5 sets of 2 reps with perfect form.

45lb SLS is getting very easy, and 200lb SLSL DL is getting pretty normal.

Today, for the first time, I performed a proper Galimore. Full lay FL through MU to flat tuck PL. It felt great! I will do more after lab.

Razz

What's all this webpage stuff people are talking about? Any info? :P Also where did you buy your TDR 64? Any info on where I can educate myself on this e-stim stuff?

Joshua Naterman

I will try to compile that, but don't expect that soon. All of that will be on my website. I will be opening a website dedicated to absolute maximum athletic performance, long term wellness, self education for laymen as well as professionals, and online personal training.

I will be referring quite a number of people here since I believe very strongly in the efficacy of this program. I will not field direct GB questions there at all. That is what this forum is for. As the popularity of what I am doing grows we should see an influx of people on the forum here as well, and many will be buying Coach's products.

Aside from using my own success to try and give back to Coach, he's seriously one of the best coaches around. I intend to make sure people know where to find the BEST, and this is it for bodyweight conditioning.

pogo69

I've never seriously looked into EMS techniques before, mostly because a) I'm too poor to afford a decent product and b) I'm happy to cruise along at the pace my body and diet allow.

But I've taken the idea quite seriously since reading about the efficacy of EMS for sprint training via Charlie Francis (very high level sprint coach among whose athletes Ben Johnson was the most (in?-)famous). He talks about some of the principles in the following article:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... ut_ems&cr=

swarovski

I may come out of the blue, but I bought a medi-compex long long time ago, when it first came out, and I didn't find neither exiciting or practical to follow an electrical muscle stimulation program in the long run. I almost esclusively used it to speed up recovery of muscle injuries (very occasionally). A kind of home PT.

I believe that it may be a complementary form of training, not a main focus. Probably only pros or students can manage the time to add those sessions to their 5-7 weekly training. Then, for most sports, if not all, technical, tactical and psichological proficiency pays bigger dividends than muscle awesomeness.

So, I may miss the point but what's the difference from popular device like compex and those WWII looking tone-a-matic? they seems a wallace and gromit's invention...

Clear, this is just a personal view and experience from a former rugby player who wasn't good enough to turn pro. (haha... I mean a millionaire one of course!)

Joshua Naterman
swarovski said:
I may come out of the blue, but I bought a medi-compex long long time ago, when it first came out, and I didn't find neither exiciting or practical to follow an electrical muscle stimulation program in the long run. I almost esclusively used it to speed up recovery of muscle injuries (very occasionally). A kind of home PT.

I believe that it may be a complementary form of training, not a main focus. Probably only pros or students can manage the time to add those sessions to their 5-7 weekly training. Then, for most sports, if not all, technical, tactical and psichological proficiency pays bigger dividends than muscle awesomeness.

So, I may miss the point but what's the difference from popular device like compex and those WWII looking tone-a-matic? they seems a wallace and gromit's invention...

Clear, this is just a personal view and experience from a former rugby player who wasn't good enough to turn pro. (haha... I mean a millionaire one of course!)

No worries! They are good questions. For one thing, by itself e-stim isn't an effective training regimen because you get the initial boost of around 20% on average, and then you level off. Now, when done on top of a full training protocol e-stim becomes something incredible, but just like we know that supplements don't really do anything magical until your nutrition is extremely solid the same goes for estim and your training.

As far as fitting in E-stim, studies have shown that the time between sessions does not matter in terms of the results. If you're doing it 3x per week, which is pretty reasonable, you will get the exact same results as if you were doing 24 straight days. It will just take you 2 months instead of 24 days. It is also possible, but as yet untested, that you could do e-stim 2-3x per day 4-5 hours apart and get the same results in 8-12 days. So, scheduling isn't a HUGE issue, but for a regular person it is not worth doing unless they just really want to make the time.

E-stim for recovery is easily the most awesome use in my opinion. I am using it on my shoulder now, and we'll see... I hope this will help.

The big difference with the tone-a-matic unit is that it will do pulsed DC as well as AC. That's a big deal, as it allows me to run tissue healing protocols and Iontophoresis. Not that I'm going to DO that last one, as I do not know anywhere near enough for that, but it is pretty neat. Now the only two functions I'm missing are interferential current and high voltage pulsed DC.

Compex is pre-programmed, which is neat, but if you have access to the actual protocols a user-programmable machine like mine is somewhat more ideal.

swarovski

thanks slizz, very nice of you to answer my questions.

just as you say, given the ability to manage the time, EMS can be a good complementary routine to the actual training.

I guess almost only PT can be intersted in such devices then, as even when things are just easy as strapping up and pressing a button with a compex it bothers me to do it. I'd rather prefer to go out for any sport with that additional spare time instead, something very personal I should say.

Joshua Naterman

There's nothing wrong with that!

I have had a lazy recovery weekend. No workouts today (sunday), and only 1 workout Saturday. Pretty light, just some high rep dips and pull ups along with some sled pulls. I feel good and ready for the coming week. I am still playing with different workout structures. This past week was just to see how much my body could handle before I needed a rest, and it was a lot more than I thought.

Joshua Naterman

Extreme jump in strength today versus friday.

I was able to do 5 sets of 3 pinkie assisted OAC per hand and I felt stronger after the last set than I did at the first set. I can also pull the first 20-30% of the way up with no assistance. Similar strength gains are showing up in 1.5" hand elevated HeSPU and flat tuck planche push ups. I will need more elevation next week at the very latest the way things are going.

I almost don't even feel it now when I pull to front lever from a hang. Galimore with flat tuck planche is now only moderately difficult for one rep.

I am not sore or tired, despite having done 14 hard sessions last week that all involved the above movements in every workout. Muscles are starting to bulge a bit, morning weight is around 205.

Eddie Stelling

Damn Slizz! Great job man! Question, are you still doing a FSP SSC? or Are you only working on specific dynamic elements and then plan on retesting after a period of time? I am on my 3rd SSC with my FSPs and man it gets old fast. I get so tired of doing the same thing, but I do realize that this systematic hard work has to be put in at the beginning. Should we always be in a SSC with FSPs? I hope I make sense.

Oh I also have been doing 5-6 concentric only HeSPUs (starting with head on the ground) per day and also am seeing strength gains from this. Got that advice from you on one of your posts. Sometimes I do more but usually it's around 5-6. But thanks for the advice!!

Joshua Naterman
Eddie said:
Damn Slizz! Great job man! Question, are you still doing a FSP SSC? or Are you only working on specific dynamic elements and then plan on retesting after a period of time? I am on my 3rd SSC with my FSPs and man it gets old fast. I get so tired of doing the same thing, but I do realize that this systematic hard work has to be put in at the beginning. Should we always be in a SSC with FSPs? I hope I make sense.

Oh I also have been doing 5-6 concentric only HeSPUs (starting with head on the ground) per day and also am seeing strength gains from this. Got that advice from you on one of your posts. Sometimes I do more but usually it's around 5-6. But thanks for the advice!!

No problem. It works!

Yes, you really should always be in a SSC with the FSP. If it makes you feel any better, the Alabama Crimson Tide football team uses a similar protocol for their weightlifting. I was talking to a guy who has been training with them today, and it is refreshing to hear something so intelligent.

I have not been doing any SSC for the simple reason that every single static relies on the shoulders, and it has been interfering with my shoulder recovery. I am training my lower traps for the first time and between that, self ART, and the chinese plasters things are healing very well and my shoulder is starting to work better again. It's actually pretty funny, at least to me, that my lower traps are almost invisible and my middle traps are pretty big. That has clearly been a huge weak point for a long time.

Joshua Naterman

I also had a great workout today, higher reps with less demanding variations. Most of what I do is BTGB, except for SLSL deadlifts and some weighted dips/pull ups on strength days.