Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Quads cramp during L-sit

Fiona Silk

Hi everyone,

I'm very much an amateur compared to most of you guys, but I thought this would be the best place to most my question since there seem to be so many experienced gymnasts here.

I've been training calisthenics for about 9 months. I can hold a 30s L-sit on good days, but about 3/4 of the time I initially get cramp in one of my quads which causes me to stop. Sometimes even a few attempts doesn't get rid of it, other times it goes, but it is usually the limiting factor in being able to hold them for longer. I always warm-up before training, and usually do the L-sits later ni my session anyway. I've tried both dynamic and static stretches on my quads before trying them, which doesn't seem to make much difference. It happens when I try and fully lock-out (push my leg right out). I also do myofascial work most days, but that doesn't seem to have made much difference either.

I'm not sure if it's a flexibility issue or a strength issue, and I was hoping you might have some advice on how to move forward and condition myself to be able to hold for longer but also just hold them more consistently.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice you might have.

Karri Kytömaa

I have the same issue, especially the closer I go to V-sit.

I think it's just lack of strength really. You are doing low leverage raise with legs to unusual direction and holding it for a long time. It's not really a surprise it gives cramping if not specifically trained for. (Or have been doing active splits or kicks for a while)

Some ways to work on it:

Pistol squats, try to lift you passive leg as high as you can. This can be a killer and seems to give best results.

Simply slow kicks as high as you can go, I seem to get flexibility problems here though.

Obviously working more on those L-sits.

Leg raises while sitting, I think doing them in straddle contributes for L but not so much the other way around so I suggest the straddle variant. Simply sit down, straddle you legs in front of you as wide you can (or maybe less if you are really flexible), put hands between the legs and just hold your legs up as long as you can. I now tend to add this to my WU.

Stretch, self massage, foam roll etc and just more training time. They will adjust. If it gets to bad too often then cut back and slowly build back up.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thank you both for your responses. I have been doing lots of foam rolling and more L-sits, and the cramp issue does flare up occasionally, but is much less of a problem than it used to be. Leg raises have helped too (especially slow ones) and I'm now working on my pistols.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

Alessandro Mainente

from my pov the V-sit cramps and L-sit cramps are connected to your hips flexor strength and legs flexibility expecially the posterior part...if you do not have a great level of passive flexibility you have to generate more more strength to maintain the legs in a disadvantegeous leverage position if the biceps femoris cannot elongate themself to much...

so for me the problem was the flexibiiity in the posterior part of the legs...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Alex, just noticed your reply. How did you go about correcting this? Lots of hamstring and calf stretches? Did you do any isometric work? I've injured my shoulder so resting upper body so got some time to work on this issue.

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

yeah, as you said i did a lots of passive stretch for hamstring and calf (weigthed pike stretch expecially), also active hamstring elongation works well (elongate you posteriori muscles using the contraction of abs and medial quads).

specific work for hips flexors was the straigth legs lifts from seated position putting my straigth arms near the knee and leaning forward with my upper body as much as i can. when this version becomes easy you can use the elbow to support your leaning (with some books under the elbows).the goal is lift the legs as much as possible but your hips must remain behind your shoulders everytime..

great importance has the pike stretching with arched back, simply as coach said...from a standing pike position try to do down as much as possible with bend back, when you reach your max depth try to arch your back without change the level of depth..

active work for compression and passive stretch will solve your problems

alex