Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

power lift for strength with gymnastic motives

meesum

ok, club gymnastics at college are starting up this week. i'm not a great gymnast, i haven't acquired any impressive skills or anything, i consider myself a beginner at best, but the training that i have received has given me some amounts of muscle, meaning i look somewhat skinny fit-im not huge, not gymnast huge.

I don't plan on training to be big, i really, like every gymnast, just want to be strong as opposed to adding extra mass. a lot of strength skills on rings and the need for strength on floor and pommel and p bars got me to thinking that i should train differently. Instead of pushups, should i do crazy weighted pushups? same with pullups and core work?

As you can imagine, it seems to get really complicated with how i'll be able to do this. Really i want advice on whether this is the right mindset, should i go ahead and powerlift weights for certain parts of my body so that they are really strong or should i go about the normal gymnastic routine work? sorry if someone already posted this topic, plz direct me to their forum or topic page if it has. thanks.

ps, all of my training would be for gymnastics and gymnastic skills, if you have any tips that would be great to, i really am overhwlemed with it right now, like how to get started and stuff.

Well, what you'd want to do is Gymnastic Strength Training™. You're essentially working your maximal strength with gymnastics elements like the front lever. You improve your strength by going through progressions (as seen in BtGB).

This is how coach trains his athletes and the approach has created national champions. So I'd say it's very effective.

My advice would be to get the book and read up on the forum on workout templates. That should give you a fairly solid idea of things.

Club? Fun, fun. I think part of me misses it and might see about swinging by for a few meets this year but not really training for it. It's pretty fun making up routines and competing them.

Do you know how many days available your club has to train and how many you can train given your schedule?

For the most part, I'd advocate using barbell training for lower body strength and bodyweight for upper body/core. Barbell training also trains core but we'll ignore that point for now.

Will you have access to the Uni gym or just what is available at the club gym or what equipment you have?

I've done weighted pushups, once. Neat exercise but I still think it's a waste of time and there are better options out there like regular bench press or just using harder BW progressions.

Feel free to PM me about or maybe we should create a club gymnastics thread for the NAIGC?

all of my training would be for gymnastics and gymnastic skills, if you have any tips that would be great to, i really am overhwlemed with it right now, like how to get started and stuff.

Need to what events and what you can do right now.