Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lower Back Exercises?

ScottyDugans

Good Mornings, Deadlifts from the hang position, Inverted Leg lifts in headstand or handstand.

Locust position in yoga.

Get a swiss ball and you can do horizontal leg lifts/reverse hypers.

Kettlebell swings.

Locust position in yoga.

Which yoga does the locust belong to? Or does that apply to every type of yoga? I've only heard of Ashtanga. It interests me that gymnastics and yoga share many things with each other.

Pretty much every system of yoga has some variation of Locust pose.

Most of these basic positions are fairly universal, I think any culture interested in physical development would discover a movement like locust.

That said, there is good reason to believe that at least some of modern yoga was influenced/inspired by European gymnastics. In the 1930's India had a period of growth in physical culture. There was a bodybuilding movement and gymnastic movement at the same time as a movement of national pride. The systems of physical culture of other nations were adapted to Indian culture.

It's very interesting to note that the 'studio' where Krishnmacharya, the father of modern yoga, set up was a converted gymnastics gym complete with all the apparatus.

In my mind there is little doubt that yoga and gymnastics are part of the same family, and there is plenty of scope for one to learn from the other, as the Indian's with their great understanding of the mental side did bring a lot to the table.

As related to to this topic, yoga is one of the few systems that understood the importance of a strong/flexiblespine and has placed a high value on various back extending movements. I'm happy to see that this is starting to work it's way back into modern fitness systems.