Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

one arm pull up

htaehxela

Hey guys,

i can do a left one arm chin up, and 3 consecutive one arm negatives on my right, and am trying to get the one arm chin up on my right, should i continue doing consecutive negatives, do weighted negative (my pb is 13.75kg) or do something completely different?

I'm 5ft 7 and 182lb

Work assisted positives. This can be the towel-assisted pull (my preferred method on a straight bar), the ring or pinkie finger assist (my preferred method on rings), or with a band of some type. Negatives are great for "seeing" a motion, but positives are essential for building the necessary strength.

Also, work short-range of motion and work on adding a half-inch every 2-4 workouts (only if your recovery & strength levels allow it!). As the biceps are at their most disadvantaged at full elbow extension, instead of working negatives, begin at the top (chin over bar) and work on holding this position. After several sessions (or if you can already do this), add a tiny bit of depth and return to the top. Repeat at every session, looking to add small amounts when you feel up to it.

And, as with all unilateral or high-stress movements, DON'T RUSH THIS! :!:

Happy training!

Toward strength,

Dunte

Joshua Naterman

Nothing to add.

This is how I taught my girlfriend to do pull ups, and now she does them better than just about every guy at the gym.

As far as negatives go, it is also possible and perhaps helpful to SLOWLY ( like .25 kg per training session at the most) increase the weight of the negative until the added weight is about 40-50% of your bodyweight. You will have to keep the volume fairly low, like you are right now.

I guess, that you should be able to do weighted pull-up with at least 80% of your bodyweight. I am not sure if this is prerequisite, but it should help you achieving the one-arm pull-up.

Joshua Naterman

1) Being able to do proper pull up progressions.

2) Being a strong rope climber.

3)Having the grip strength to hang with one hand.

4) Being patient enough to work on your one arm pull ups at a slow, steady pace.

• Upvote 1

Daniel Burnham

4) Being patient enough to work on your one arm pull ups at a slow, steady pace.

Make sure you pay attention to each of these points. Its pretty easy to assume that you can hang one handed but I would suggest doing some hangs for time and maybe some shrugging in the hang for shoulder stabilization. The one arm pullup puts a lot of weight on the shoulder and it might sublux if you aren't properly prepared. Believe me I know.

Rope climbing is probably the best way to go. There is a reason that it is one of Coach's top exercises. Weighted pullups are helpful but don't prepare you for doing more with one arm than the other.

I heard that 4 consecutive 10+ sec negatives is about equal to a full concentric OAP. So I think it would be helpful to keep working the negatives weighted or unweighted. Assisted concentrics are helpful too, but I'm not sure which is better to help you develop the OAP faster. It can be different for everyone, but I think a mixture of both assisted OAPs and negatives work best for most people.

Also, do you work the front lever? I know a front lever is not necessary, but I think it can be helpful for your OAP training or progress if lat strength is your limiting factor. I got an OAC on each arm from working on the front lever alone while I already had super strong elbow flexors. I found that a couple seconds full front lever is about equal to the lat strength needed for an OAC and probably a bit more seconds for an OAP based on my experience. So you can use the FL as a supplementary exercise or to measure OAP progress if you like. Good luck!

Quick Start Test Smith

I'm currently doing a lot of grip work and slow regular pull ups, but I'll get a thick rope set up for climbing. Do you think it's worth it to set up two ropes for dual climbing or rope pull ups or just regular rope climbs sufficient?

I should probably be able to do 10-15 regular bar pull ups in a single set and then a full cirque before I start working on OAP or OAC. Right now I'm really thinking about getting good at HeSPU and pull ups. I'd really like to start working on FL and BL, but I think I'm better off getting these things down (plus FSP) first.

Joshua Naterman

Make sure you pay attention to each of these points. Its pretty easy to assume that you can hang one handed but I would suggest doing some hangs for time and maybe some shrugging in the hang for shoulder stabilization. The one arm pullup puts a lot of weight on the shoulder and it might sublux if you aren't properly prepared. Believe me I know.

Rope climbing is probably the best way to go. There is a reason that it is one of Coach's top exercises. Weighted pullups are helpful but don't prepare you for doing more with one arm than the other.

Yes, the rope climbing is excellent. The current progressions are very well thought out, in my opinion, and I am actually replacing most of my pull up work with them.

For anyone who actually wants to develop OAC and OAPullup, you NEED to be working with a single rope for the climbing to be effective as a progression.

If you just want to work on grip strength and don't care about that OAC business then it doesn't matter whether you use two ropes or one.

Quick Start Test Smith

I've been looking for a climbing rope all over the place and every one I found was $120 or more, but I just managed to find one here (http://www.christiansfitnessfactory.com ... 5-&-2-inch) that is $2.15 per foot (for 1.5 inch). That's a huge decrease from everything else I was finding! It doesn't have whip ends (extra $10-20) or connector but I may be able to figure out how to do that without paying more.

There's always the option of getting a short 6 foot rope too, and just going up and down a ton. (http://www.roguefitness.com/climbing-ropes.php)

• 8 months later...

Work assisted positives. This can be the towel-assisted pull (my preferred method on a straight bar), the ring or pinkie finger assist (my preferred method on rings), or with a band of some type. Negatives are great for "seeing" a motion, but positives are essential for building the necessary strength.

Also, work short-range of motion and work on adding a half-inch every 2-4 workouts (only if your recovery & strength levels allow it!). As the biceps are at their most disadvantaged at full elbow extension, instead of working negatives, begin at the top (chin over bar) and work on holding this position. After several sessions (or if you can already do this), add a tiny bit of depth and return to the top. Repeat at every session, looking to add small amounts when you feel up to it.

And, as with all unilateral or high-stress movements, DON'T RUSH THIS! :!:

Happy training!

Toward strength,

Dunte

cheers man, i have just started working partials now, they're really good, im down to 2 reps going to 90 degrees,

Can one arm pulldown machine help to get oac?

Im thinking working one arm pulldown until at least i can pull bodyweight

Philip Chubb

Can one arm pulldown machine help to get oac?

Im thinking working one arm pulldown until at least i can pull bodyweight

This won't work due to a long list of factors. It's more likely that it would work the other way around.

I think pulling your body weight with one arm on a lat pull-down machine is harder than a OAP though. I remember from past experience years ago that BW lat pull-downs are harder than pull-ups so it might be the same here too.