Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crucifix with dumbells for reps?

Gaben18

I was just curious if it would be a optimal shoulder isolation exercise to Do the Crucifix, for reps? like Start with the Dumbbells to your side, then raise to a 90degree angle then lower again, with straight elbows. I was thinking 3x8 or 3x10, the form would be easier than lateral raises! and would not be dangerous like upright rows? am i right?

Below is a link of the exercise im talking about.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/d ... e/crucifix

I suppose you could try it and see how it workds fr you. it looks to be very benifical as a static position. let us know how it goes

It's still a lateral raise, but done from horizontal to overhead which is easier than from the bottom to horizontal. It is a good isolation exercise that primarily works the middle deltoids. Great for bodybuilding, but not so useful for Gymnastic Strength Training™ though unless you externally rotate the shoulders which then primarily work the front deltoids which could be used as an assistance exercise for inverted cross work. These are definitely not a pull, but a press, so cruxifix presses/raises would be a more suitable name.

It's still a lateral raise, but done from horizontal to overhead which is easier than from the bottom to horizontal. It is a good isolation exercise that primarily works the middle deltoids. Great for bodybuilding, but not so useful for Gymnastic Strength Training™ though unless you externally rotate the shoulders which then primarily work the front deltoids which could be used as an assistance exercise for inverted cross work. These are definitely not a pull, but a press, so cruxifix presses/raises would be a more suitable name.

I actually mean to use it from the side of the body, to a 90 degree angle, kinda like a reverse iron cross pull! what benefit, would i get from bringing the weights above my head?

Joshua Naterman

Whether or not these are useful depends heavily on how you do them. It's all about scapular control and rhythm with lateral raises.

When you point your inner elbows up (like inverted cross) you are relying heavily on the long head of the biceps, and you will specifically feel it get tired when you do this for higher reps and TUT.

I do this twice a week, I believe it's on my recent straight arm strength video.

Nah man, i don't see any! Would it be stupid to do straight arm locked lateral raises? rather than 30-45 degree bent arm thumbs up lateral raises? Ive herd it may impingement the shoulder, and put too much stress on the elbow!