Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weighted Extra ROM Ring Pushups.

Tavis G

Hey guys i am 146 lbs. I experimented yesterday and i came up with weighted extra rom pushups on rings(Instability). Will these make you stronger? Risk of injury? I weigh 146 6'. I did 136 Extra Rom On the Jungle Gym XT, SLOOOW pushups 4 reps. Will these increase athletic ability/ stronger bench?

Joshua Naterman

They can, start off slow and make sure you have perfect form. Rather than continuing to increase the weight while staying slow, every workout day use your first set to see how fast you can go without feeling any change in the form (especially in the shoudler area). This isn't a speed challenge, but rather a way to see how well you are learning to use your stabilizers as well as how strong they are. You will make small improvements on a regular basis. Keep adding some slow reps as you are able to on the slow sets, until you get to 40-60s of TUT.

When you get to where you're doing 20-ish fast reps with the weight and at least 40s of TUT with slow reps (5-7s down, same up) with the same weight THEN increase the weight a bit. You will have to slow down your fast reps a little, but you will slowly build the speed up again just like with the previous weight.

If you do that, you will keep getting stronger and stay fast, and your bench should improve as well.

Note: You should bench 1x per week if you actually want to see bench improvements. It is very different than push ups.

Thanks Slizz. I am also starting insanity today. I will do this about 5 hours after my strength workouts. Think i will overtrain?