Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tire dragging/sled dragging alternatives?

OdinsMonkey

I live in a big city with and go to a gym that has a ton of equipment (even less common things like Glute ham machines) but is pretty tiny. Because of that it has been challenging to find a good alternative to sled dragging which seems to be a big part of the WoD.

The substitutes listed are typically:

"If you do not have access to a tire or sled for sprints, then possible sled/tire substitutions include: perform the sprints with a weight vest, drag a kettlebell on the ground behind you while sprinting, have a partner pulling backward on you during the sprint with a long strap. The best substitute, and possible even better than the sled sprints, is to run up a very steep hill with a weighted vest."

Anyone have any additional substitutes that take up a lot less space by chance?

If you have some long bands, you can hook them to a rack and push or pull them. Not quite the same but it's something.

Joshua Naterman
I have same problem OdinsMonkey

On leg strength days (3 modified sets / 5m rest) I imagine the goal is to do something quad-busting, so I sub stair runs with weight/backpack.

On dynamic leg days (4 sets / 2-3m rest) I figure the goal is cardio exhaustion, so I do a quick suicide or shuttle run or just plain sprint for 20 seconds.

Those are great adaptations.

You can also do rope-jumping sprints if you are a rope-jumper.

I live in Dallas TX. AKA no hills. What i end up doing is having my wife just on my back and put on extra 20 or 30 lbs and run up 15 stairs to my apt. it works relitivly well.

Joshua Naterman
I live in Dallas TX. AKA no hills. What i end up doing is having my wife just on my back and put on extra 20 or 30 lbs and run up 15 stairs to my apt. it works relitivly well.

Jesus. That's hardcore.

FREDERIC DUPONT

YEEHAW! :D

FREDERIC DUPONT
there is no equal alternative to sled because there is no eccentric movement

There is no eccentric in stair climbing or car pushing/pulling either... :)

Matus Michalicka
there is no equal alternative to sled because there is no eccentric movement

There is no eccentric in stair climbing or car pushing/pulling either... :)

car pushing and pulling is same as sled or tire.

however in stair climbing, (not sure how it looks, if it is the same as stair running)... but in both hill sprints and stair sprints there is eccentric movement, less than in horizontal sprints but the eccentric is still there.

Matth Challoner

I would love to see this, sounds awesome!

It was actually a bummer for me. I figured having 145lbsm (my wife is 115, the 20lb vest and 10lb ankle weights) would be a challenge, but i could do it without being tired. And the WOD specifically says i need to be tired. I would lvoe to film it, but i don't know where i would set the camera. My apartment complex is small. Its funny though becasue the firsttime i tried it Mirah kept saying "don't drop me! don't drop me!" with every step up. Shes a sweetie, but i finlly jsut nixed them becasue i have no more weight to add to myself.

Jesus. That's hardcore.

HAHA! thank you Josh!