Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dog Bone Pullup Bar for false grip strength?

Eric Kamhi

I was looking at the Rogue fitness website and was eyeing the cannonball grips, and the pullup globe. They peeked my interest in developing more grip strength and then I came across the dog bone pullup bar they have.

The hand position looks like it would be a great addition to false grip rows (I cannot do good form false grip pullups in volume yet, my wrist slips after three reps). I was thinking of supplementing my false grip rows with dog bone pullup bar pullups (as high as I can go) in order to strengthen the false grip position. Is this a bad idea? Unecessary? Inefficient? Or would it have good carryover effects to my false grip?

I enjoy trying new types of exercises so the idea of doing pullups with taxing hand positions did appeal to me in the first place. But if it will detract or detriment my current strength work, I should avoid it.

Any thoughts?

Good variety but the grip does not feel the same. You also want to start building tolerance with having the ring rub against the skin just below your palm where you hook it over the ring. Having a bit of callous there will spare you a bit of the discomfort that comes from working transitions for muscle ups later. Notice I said some, not all. Every bit counts though.

Joshua Naterman

I totally agree. I don't think they are useless, and if you're an avid rock climber or strongman competitor then those tools(dog bone, globe, cannonball, etc) can be massively useful, but for false grip? I don't think they'll be what you're looking for.