Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

middle-high back pain

Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro Mainente

during the last 2 months i've started doing a skill using the trampoline and some mats to make the skill easier. simply is a front flip followed byt another front flip where i fall on my hands and i do a forward roll. on the mats was easy so i tried on the normal surface and at the beginning i did not have problems. with the time i've started to feel pain in the upper middle of the back, the ribs seem. usually i feel pain in the back if i squeeze my abs to maintian the hollow position or if i tfry to do backward roll on the floor.

this has never happened to you?

there are some good exercises to warm up properly for these movements? usually i do forward roll and backward roll but nothing more..

thanks for your tiem

Joshua Naterman

1) Sounds like there's not enough actual rolling going on, and too much falling straight down on the upper back. You could have strained some of the erector spinae fibers as well as deeper spinal muscles and perhaps serratus posterior. Impossible to say, really, but curl ups as per BtGB and Jefferson curls are good ways to make sure your back stays strong.

Loading at the head with a neck strap and doing arch ups and curl ups is also a really good idea, but you will need to start very light.

Right now no weight is probably the best weight for you, and doing high volume (45-60s sets) and 2-3 sets to failure (in this case, to where the discomfort is about to change into something that you know is bad or close to that point) and progressing very slowly is probably the best thing for you to do.

I would stop doing that skill for a bit. That's a high risk move and I don't think I'd do that on anything that's not at least a spring floor but I would take a long time with progressively smaller crash mats and have a coach watch you to make sure you're rotating fast enough in the roll and getting enough forward movement to actually have a roll and not a *thump* landing.

Alessandro Mainente

Joushua you are rigth, i've just seen a video of my execution, the roll is little, maybe no roll sometime.

i don't know the name of position but for example the pain is bigger in the higher part of the body lever where the weigth is over the middle part of the back..

i know jefferson curls, so i consider the idea to do them when the pain is ligth!

Joshua Naterman
Joushua you are rigth, i've just seen a video of my execution, the roll is little, maybe no roll sometime.

i don't know the name of position but for example the pain is bigger in the higher part of the body lever where the weigth is over the middle part of the back..

i know jefferson curls, so i consider the idea to do them when the pain is ligth!

Don't worry, you'll be ok. It will take a little while, so move around but don't push the pain too much!

Sounds like you are doing a good job of being spart about rehab. You strained the upper mid-thoracic area, probably T4-T7. All you can do is move around, do what strength training you can without getting a cramp back there and eating well! Some heat on the area should help speed up the healing a bit, but find out what works for you.