Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What progression on my second SSC?

Marco

HI, I'm doing my first SSC and I do 6 static exercise and after this two dynamic one: parallel dips and chin up.

On static exercises I'll increase second up to 3x60'', while for dynamic exercises I don't know if increase reps or kg.

Now I do:

5x5 @ +10 kg in dips

5x5 @ bw for chin up

Thanks a lot

FREDERIC DUPONT

Push ups?

Rows?

HS push ups?

BW curls?

Is there a good reason for you to limit your effort to chins & dips?

Push ups?

Rows?

HS push ups?

BW curls?

Is there a good reason for you to limit your effort to chins & dips?

I doing dips and chins 3x week. Push up and rows are too simple for me. I don't be able to stay in HS position, I work on this in my next cycle. BW curl are too hard now. ;)

For my question?

Hey,

I'm not an expert or anything but from what I understand it's important to work multiple planes of motion for pushing and pulling, especially if you want to develop the FSPs, or to maintain structural balance I guess.

You say that pushups and rows are too simple; have you tried pseudo planche pushups? Developing bent arm strength in a planche-like position would probably be helpful for your planche progress. In terms of rows I know that you can use front lever rows if normal foot supported rows are really too easy with perfect form and your feet highly elevated. You should also probably take a closer read through the book and look at the progressions of each exercise. If you're finding stuff like pseudo planche pushups way too easy but still cant do tuck planche pushups it's possible that you need to take a close look at your form, body position to make sure you're doing it right; it's possible to kid yourself into thinking you're doing a movement right when actually you're cheating to make it easier. I find it's normally a better bet to make it as hard as possible rather than as easy as possible.

You should also include core exercises, like hanging leg lifts and maybe reverse leg lifts, as well as leg exercises like single leg squats and glute ham raises. It sounds like a careful read through the book would benefit you in finding more exercises for progression.

Just to reiterate, I'm not exactly advanced (or intermediate :) ) but you'll find a lot of info on these forums from people who actually really know what they're talking about if you read through.

FREDERIC DUPONT
For my question?

Get the book, read it, then what Fraser said about Xplanes...

There are variations of push ups & rows for which you cannot do 10x10; find them and work.

As for HS & BWCurls, now is a great time to get at it. :)

Out of curiosity, why do you work your dynamic BW exercises under an SSC protocol?

It can be done, but maybe there are better ways?

Good luck.

FREDERIC DUPONT
HI, I'm doing my first SSC and I do 6 static exercise and after this two dynamic one: parallel dips and chin up.

On static exercises I'll increase second up to 3x60'', while for dynamic exercises I don't know if increase reps or kg.

Now I do:

5x5 @ +10 kg in dips

5x5 @ bw for chin up

Thanks a lot

What question??? :facepalm:

Well the straight up answer to your question is that you want to increase in KG not reps, depending on your goals.

You say that you have read the book so I'll assume that you have chosen to disregard the majority of the information there and on these forums (which would suggest that you will probably see faster progress and all round strength increase if you use more exercises than just weighted dips and chinups).

If you are determined to stick with only these 2 exercises, and want to get stronger in them, add weight; you want to maintain your set/rep scheme below 5x5, while not going below 3x3.

However, as already mentioned, it's rarely necessary to follow a ssc for bent arm exercises like dips and pullups except in some unusual cases- do you stick to a ssc for your bent arm exercises for a reason? If not I would suggest that you stop following a ssc for the bent arm exercises and instead increase weight somewhat faster/ as you see fit to maintain the desired set/rep scheme.

As far as your straight arm exercises, if you can do 60 second holds already then I think it's OK to move onto the next progression as long as you can hold it for a decent length of time.

I'll say again that I think (anyone more experienced feel free to correct me) the general consensus on these forums and the template laid out by the book would suggest that you should do more bent arm exercises thanh just chinups and dips and that following a long ssc isn't really necessary for bent arm strenght unless there is a significant tendon-strength element, as in pseudo planche pushups for example.

Well the straight up answer to your question is that you want to increase in KG not reps, depending on your goals.

You say that you have read the book so I'll assume that you have chosen to disregard the majority of the information there and on these forums (which would suggest that you will probably see faster progress and all round strength increase if you use more exercises than just weighted dips and chinups).

If you are determined to stick with only these 2 exercises, and want to get stronger in them, add weight; you want to maintain your set/rep scheme below 5x5, while not going below 3x3.

However, as already mentioned, it's rarely necessary to follow a ssc for bent arm exercises like dips and pullups except in some unusual cases- do you stick to a ssc for your bent arm exercises for a reason? If not I would suggest that you stop following a ssc for the bent arm exercises and instead increase weight somewhat faster/ as you see fit to maintain the desired set/rep scheme.

As far as your straight arm exercises, if you can do 60 second holds already then I think it's OK to move onto the next progression as long as you can hold it for a decent length of time.

I'll say again that I think (anyone more experienced feel free to correct me) the general consensus on these forums and the template laid out by the book would suggest that you should do more bent arm exercises thanh just chinups and dips and that following a long ssc isn't really necessary for bent arm strenght unless there is a significant tendon-strength element, as in pseudo planche pushups for example.

Fraser, I have follow the suggestion that you can find in "prerequisites" 3d. They suggest to you SSC cycle if I use dynamic exercises together static exercises, and in this 3d the suggest to use this static base exercises up to reach 3x60'', not 1x60''.

For my question: I have think if the suggest to reach 3x60'' in static exercises, is it resonable to reach 5x10 (or 5x8) prior to increase the weight. I don't know...

PS: I'll add other two exercises.. ;)

Vincent Stoyas

If you must stick with only 2 other exercises, then indeed, you increase kg and not reps. That is, if you're focusing on strength. Strength work will always be in the 5 rep range.

Everyone is suggesting you add in more exercises, which is true, you should be balancing everything out.

If you do own the book then you will easily see that push ups and rows are in no way too easy. That's just silly. If that's true, I'd love to see some planche push ups and FL rows from you.

Also, BW curls can easily be scaled down, go ahead and take a quick look around the forums. You can do foot supported BW curls until you eventually get to hanging ones.

It's suggested to get work in these planes

horizontal Push and pull

and

vertical push and pull. So you should look into adding more.