Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tips for designing 3 day a week full body workouts?

Quick Start Test Smith

Quick Start Test Smith

I've been doing a 3 day/week full body routine. I like it a lot. I have plenty of time on Tue, Thu, and Sat to practice. Can you check to see if I'm covering all my bases? All exercises except the ones with asterisks are done using roughly a 606 tempo (60s of work/set). I do 3 sets of 60s work with 45-60s rest between exercises in a superset (a + b).

The routine is an refinement of what I have been doing for the last two weeks. I intend to keep doing this high volume stuff for another 10 weeks (like Josh recommends) and then switch to a good deal of max effort and dynamic effort stuff for 12 weeks.

- Monday

Rows + push ups

HLL + weighted arch ups

Pull ups + dips

Decline sit ups + inverted adductor flies

Gripping work finisher

Calf/shin work finisher

Neck work finisher

- Wednesday

L-sit tuck chin ups + dips

SLS* + HLL (SLS not 606, but still quite slow. HLL is also only as slow as I can do 'em, not exactly 606)

Weighted arch ups + 20s l-sit tuck on pb

Front squats + thick bar bicep curls

Gripping work finisher + facepulls

Calf/shin work finisher

Neck work finisher

- Friday

Pull ups + HeSPU (usually last set is faster than 606 because I'm tired but I stay as close as possible)

GHR/RDL + HLL

Decline sit ups + inverted adductor flies

Back squats

150+ bodyweight squats for conditioning (and to help my knees stay healthy)

Gripping work finisher

Calf/shin work finisher

Neck work finisher

When I wake up on Mon, Wed, Fri, within 10 minutes I do some dynamic stretches and then the following fsp program:

3 sets of DH, PB support, Plank

3 sets of HH, WHS (stomach to wall), Arch hold

Am I getting mostly everything? Thanks. I know it's difficult to read other people's training routines sometimes...

What are inverted adductor flies? Is that where you lay on your back and open your legs to a wall split and then together?

Is your goal just general fitness and fun?

Quick Start Test Smith
What are inverted adductor flies? Is that where you lay on your back and open your legs to a wall split and then together?

Is your goal just general fitness and fun?

Hi Blairbob :)

There used to be a video roughly demonstrating what inverted adductor flies are, but just imagine hanging your rings about 8" off the floor, standing in them, letting your feet and legs separate into a side split stretch, and pull legs together back to standing position. It's like adductor flies in which you lie on your back and spread and close your legs over and over again. I don't have heavy boots / weighted shoe clasps to make adductor flies harder, so I use inverted adductor flies to add weight (my bodyweight).

Edit: I remember, Coach Sommer has something similar to them called "Power Splits" like in the video below. Mine are the same except I keep my trunk and feet facing forward in side split rather than mixed front/side split.

xzZdOPHruKI

I am not doing this for fun, per se. My goal is to be able to compete at the world class level in karate and possibly MMA. Not necessarily to fight full time as a pro or even as a semi pro, but at least as much as I want. I just want to be able to fight and win against almost anyone. I don't know, I just have a passion to be the best in fighting. It's such a primal and instinctual thing, but nothing outside of cool science/tech. stuff motivates me as much as fighting or watching a beautiful fight. But it's fun and rewarding, so I'll keep doing it as long as it inspires me and I keep having fun :)

By the way, soon-to-be Hurricane Isaac will hit my house tonight and I'll probably lose power for day or more. I live almost right on the water and the tide is going to be in so hopefully the surge won't be too bad... Wish me luck.

Joachim Nagler

Is the hurricane over yet? Hope it didn't hit you too bad!

Boy, am i glad that i don't have to cope with such things over here...

Quick Start Test Smith

Hi JN!

Yeah, it's over. My property got a lot of water but thankfully the house stayed dry except for leaks in the roof. Now I'm wait for Kirk and Leslie :?

Martin Hodges
Hi JN!

Yeah, it's over. My property got a lot of water but thankfully the house stayed dry except for leaks in the roof. Now I'm wait for Kirk and Leslie :?

That's good you're property didn't get too damaged. I'm a little further north of you in the Ms Delta. We just got a touch of the wind and rain, not bad at all.