Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

rings and forearm touching

Andrew Long

Andrew Long

hej,

Just want to know if there is any position or move on the rings that it is okay to have your forearms touching the rings. I know as you learn moves it may start out that way but should you strive to remove anything but the hands from the rings in every single move eventually? one last thing I am confused as to handstand on rings which way should rings be facing? the same way as your face is looking or parallel?( dont worry I am no planning on trying ring handstands at any point over the next year or so ^_^ )

Cheers =)

hooligan8200

There is not a single move where touching the rings with your forearms is ok. There are a few cases, however, that you'll see quite often in level 9 and even 10+ competitions. False gripping on crosses is more common than you'd think. Some people false grip so far that they actually are holding the cross with their forearms! Also, I've seen quite a few people touching the rings with their forearms after giants. Their form on the giant was near perfect and their handstand was strong enough so I didn't really see the point of ruining it by touching the rings and straps with their arms. Bad habits probably. Another common one for level 5-7's is on a straddle planche. That one is usually due to the kids not having nearly enough strength, so they do sort of a bent arm straddle planche with their arms on the straps.

Any time you touch the rings with something other than your hands, it's a deduction. That doesn't mean people don't this stuff all the time though ;). Also Zach is correct. - - to \ / to | | is all ok. Which one you use is completely up to you, as all 3 are correct in some cases.

Andrew Long

Thanks a lot for the responses guys =) I had a feeling the idea was to never let anything but hands touch the rings. also with the handstands is that 45 degree \/ facing where your face is pointing or the other direction ( kinda like a korean handstand push up position but on rings)