Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FL form check/time hold.

Tavis G

I Have NEVER trained the front lever before, and it feels pretty easy. Laugh at the funny faces i make.

BMWvpNoRkm4

Are there any flaws in my form?

That was pretty good. Elbows look locked out and hips were level with shoulders.

You might want to start working on depressing and partially retracting your scapulae. I'm not sure if you were trying so, but you seem protracted, like in a planche hold.

Google search "packing the neck". Pack your neck.

Point your toes.

finally, NO PAIN FACE :D! Spartan on the outside, hysterically crying and screaming in the inside.

Thanks for the compliment! But sadly yes, i was activated like in a planche. I had no idea what the activation is in a front lever. Packing The neck?

And BTW, i had shoes on! If i took em off would it help? Shoes are like an extra pound on your feet.

For front lever scapulae position, here is a good read: http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewto ... 293#p83293

For scapular depression, you want to depress as much as possible to activate the lower trapezius fibres.

Packing the neck is basically like trying to make a double chin (like a fat person chin). You'll want to do this in the front lever. Right now, your face is stuffed into your knees.

Yea, I figured that shoes prevent you from pointing your toes. I would recommend taking them off since they are basically like ankle weights.

So ive got every thing down but the depressing. So do you want to shrug your shoulders or kind of like squeeze your shoulder blades together? f i had better activation and my shoes off, could i hold if for 60 seconds? My advanced tuck is like 10 seconds also.

So ive got every thing down but the depressing. So do you want to shrug your shoulders or kind of like squeeze your shoulder blades together? f i had better activation and my shoes off, could i hold if for 60 seconds? My advanced tuck is like 10 seconds also.

Depressing means you want to shrug your shoulders downward. You would feel your pectorals flexing hard if you were to try this right now. Don't shrug them up - that's the exact opposite.

So depress and retract.

I don't know if you'll be able to get 60 seconds, now. But, you'll definitely be using better form which will definitely lead to better strength gains. Enjoy the journey.

Thanks, yes i really felt my pecs engaged. I did 3X20 seconds and had good progress. almost colapsed on the last 5 secs of the final set. Would you also recommend straddle negatives? I can lower down slowly on them.

Negative front pulls are very helpful for FL so doing the slow straddle is a ok.

What are negative front pulls?

They are the straddle negatives you are doing except in the full front lever position. Start from an inverted hang and lower down to a normal hang with straight arms the entire time. At first, you'll probably drop right through after the first 20 degrees but it will get better with time.

In another topic yesterday, forum member Serotonin recommended 2 or 3 of these negatives after a warm up. I found that to work quite well.

So would you recommend doing the straddle negatives or just full negative Full negatais are quite pa bit harder but i think i could manage.

Do the variation of neg. front pull you can with control - straddle or flat tuck most likely.

You can also do the full front pull by coming up in, say, a tuck and down in a more difficult variation.