Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dynamic Strength Workout mixed with Static

XxBAMFxX

Hey guys. Is it ok to alternate between static and dynamic workouts every day for the SAME muscle group? (i.e. do front lever work on Monday, then do pullups on Tuesday) Or is that not enough rest for the muscles? I ask because I would love to be able to workout almost every day of the week on each muscle group but to alternate between STATIC workout days and DYNAMIC workout days. Currently I just workout every other day, doing both STATIC and DYNAMIC workouts in 1 session.

Also as a side topic, how do you build mass with bodyweight exercises (as far as rep counts and sets)? For example, look at the banner of this site, that guys is a good size and he is strong. Most calisthenics-only trainees whom I see have incredible strength, but are still relatively skinny. This is probably because the less you weight, the easier it is to pull off bodyweight movements such as the planche, front lever, etc. For me, my goal is to get to a point where I can do the advanced positions and be somewhat big while doing them. Is it possible to achieve this goal with bodyweight exercises only or will I need to use free weights?

I have had these thoughts in mind for awhile and it would be great if I could get them resolved through discussion here.

Larry Roseman
Hey guys. Is it ok to alternate between static and dynamic workouts every day for the SAME muscle group? (i.e. do front lever work on Monday, then do pullups on Tuesday) Or is that not enough rest for the muscles? I ask because I would love to be able to workout almost every day of the week on each muscle group but to alternate between STATIC workout days and DYNAMIC workout days. Currently I just workout every other day, doing both STATIC and DYNAMIC workouts in 1 session..

It's funny because sometimes it's easier to workout the same muscle group twice in the same session than on successive days.

The fatigue and the DOMS sometimes starts to set in after 4 hours, and it may become harder the next day. My suggestion is to experiment with it. You may need to ease up on the first day so that you are good to go on the second.

But it's not a great idea to workout every muscle group heavy every day, if that is what you are thinking of. Probably 4x week is better if you want to do 2 static and 2 dynamic workouts. You get strong during recovery not during workouts, right?.

Do take your time, as it will take your body some time to adapt to the new stresses, in particular your tendons. Those

need more time to recover so you don't want to over do it. I hear you on the "every day" desire ...

but it shouldn't be all hard - do a few light easy days, recovery and days off too. Look into the prehab and mobility.

Also as a side topic, how do you build mass with bodyweight exercises (as far as rep counts and sets)? For example, look at the banner of this site, that guys is a good size and he is strong. Most calisthenics-only trainees whom I see have incredible strength, but are still relatively skinny. This is probably because the less you weight, the easier it is to pull off bodyweight movements such as the planche, front lever, etc. For me, my goal is to get to a point where I can do the advanced positions and be somewhat big while doing them. Is it possible to achieve this goal with bodyweight exercises only or will I need to use free weights?

I have had these thoughts in mind for awhile and it would be great if I could get them resolved through discussion here.

If you would get large doing weights, you could also get large doing body weight (which is still a weight). However, a lot will depend upon your nutrition, whether you are getting the nutrients delivered to your muscles and organs to stimulate muscle growth. In that regard, ensuring you are eating enough is most important - and enough protein and carbs in particular. No one seems to have a problem getting enough fat :lol: But you don't have to overeat - just at a modest surplus. Check out the nutrition topic! And Josh the moderator recommends keeping the intake stable during the day relative to your expenditure, so 3-4 decent meals and a couple of snacks and your workout nutrition should do it.

Weights can still be used of course. They do let you target individual muscles a bit easier, if you have a weakness (in terms of strength or appearance). They are useful as accessory work. Sometimes just for variety. People who want to get big here do squats and deadlifts as those are quite developmental. I'm pretty sure the topic has been addressed - search and look around and have fun :)